Furniture Design - Intensive
This pro-active intermediate furniture design course offers you the perfect opportunity to really develop your knowledge, interest and practice in furniture design in a studio and workshop environment at Central Saint Martins.
This course offers a more advanced level to the Furniture Design and Furniture Design for Beginners short courses, so this course is ideal for those who have attended the above courses, completed a degree in art and design or who have a pro-active interest in Furniture Design with some existing skills in the subject area.
On this course you will learn how to understand and define different furniture opportunities aimed at different clients, from individual private clients, interior designers, architectural furniture projects or for furniture manufacturer brands.
You will learn how to understand your client and your brand and design your own furniture to fit, so this course could in fact be used to develop furniture for a live, current project and used as part of the process of a live commission.
You will learn to develop your ideas to a three dimensional reality to scale using the Central Saint Martins workshops with skilled technicians and your course tutor and learn how to recognise and define creative opportunities for residential, for brands, as well as commercial interior projects.
You will develop your ideation skills and learn how to expand your concepts to reach a presentational conclusion and learn the practical and technical skills to test, develop, model, realise and present your designs to your selected client type. This could be the next big step forward in a journey to a successful degree application or your own professional practice.
- Furniture trends and forecasting themes
- Learning the Design Process
- Understanding different clients and client needs
- Brainstorming and research techniques
- Ideation and concept development
- Furniture production techniques
- Learning and developing making skills in the CSM workshops
- Sketch modelling and presentation model making
- Working with human measurements and ergonomics
- Material opportunities, constraints and making
- Technical production drawing
- Learning presentation skills
By the end of the course you will have:
- Produced a User Profile board
- Learned how to understand different types of clients and their needs
- Learned how to feed research findings into your designs
- Presented concepts to the client/developing client relations
- Developed a range of drawing techniques and technical skills
- Learned how to develop your concepts and communicate them in 2D & 3D
- Worked extensively in the workshop to explore your ideas, test and develop concepts and produce a finished scaled model of your design with a specification
- Presented your finished design to the group for appraisal
Who should take this course?
This course is perfect for professionals who are looking for specialist training, product and furniture design enthusiasts and a natural progression for students that have attended Furniture Design for Beginners course. Also a great course for students looking to improve their portfolio.
Good spoken and understanding of English (as per pass entry level on CSM degree course) as minimum. A strong enthusiasm for product and furniture design
Please note: This course is for students aged 18 and older
Trained with 7 years design education, finishing at Central Saint Martins with an MA Industrial Design, Rock Galpin has set up a number of design companies including his current practice, Rock Galpin Studio, specialising in product and furniture design, founded in 2005, originating from Studio Orange, which he founded in 1995.
Rock has won a number of awards for his designs including The Laurent Perrier Design Award in 2005 and has been featured throughout the world in the press and TV alike.
Rock's clients include; Aram, Authentics, Boss Design, Frem, Diageo, Bartle Bogle & Hergarty, Covo, Candy & Candy, Connection Seating, Designers Guild, Heals, Purves & Purves, Weber Shandwick, Hill & Knowlton and Channel 4, The British Council, Conran Shop, Geoffrey Drayton, Bacardi Global Brands, Ogilvy & Mather, Saatchi & Saatchi. In addition, Rock's own brand collection of design/supply furniture supplies to several architects and interior designers such as BDP, Swanke Hayden Connell, Featherstone Young and Waugh Thistleton.
Combined with his studio practice, Rock Galpin has also taught on the BA Product Design course for over 20 years and is a mentor on MA Industrial Design and is one of the original short course tutors now running seven short courses/online courses in furniture and product design at Central Saint Martins.
Please bring with you to the first session:
- Camera/phone camera