skip to main content

Essential coronavirus info
Your safety is our first priority.

Important information about studying on campus

Short courses: travel guidance

Travelling in London

You must wear a face-covering when using public transport or taking a taxi.

Visit the TfL website for an overview of measures they have introduced to help keep you safe. These include:

  • Enhanced cleaning
  • Social distancing
  • Increased hand sanitising stations

It’s important to plan your journey before leaving home, as some routes and lines are operating with reduced capacity.

London Underground Signage

Travelling from abroad to the UK

If you are travelling from abroad to attend a short course this must be in line with current UK Government guidelines. Please check the GOV.UK website before booking any foreign travel. Please be aware you may be required to isolate upon arrival so please consider the start date of your course when booking travel.

If you think you might be unable to travel and start the course as planned, please make sure that you contact the UAL Short Course Customer Service Team at least 28 days in advance in order to be eligible for a refund or transfer.

We would encourage all students travelling from outside of the UK to review the full guidance on the traffic light system to ensure you make any travel arrangements.

If you are required to present a VISA in order to study a short course this must be done on your first day before you start your course. More information can be found on our What to Expect on your First Day information page.

Presenting your passport to our VISA team

If you are a national from a country outside the UK or Ireland, you will need an immigration permission to study short courses with us. This applies to European students as well as international students.

Please visit our frequently asked questions for any questions you may have. For instructions on how to apply for a Standard visitor visa and everything you need to know before and after receiving your visa please visit UAL website.

You must present your passport and valid visa/proof of entry clearance to the Short Courses Office before the start of your course. Your immigration documents will be checked and providing these are valid for study, you will be able to start your course.

If, however, you are already in the UK and have an immigration permission that allows you to study your short course please send your passport and your UK visa to the Short Courses Immigration Compliance by emailing to

Important information for EU, EEA or Swiss nationals: If you hold settled, pre-settled or other digital immigration status that allows you to study the course you booked you must obtain a share code here prove immigration status and send it to us together with a copy of your passport to . Please read our Student Guide - View and Prove Immigration Digital Status (962KB) for instructions.

Currently, we do not expect to do physical passport checks in person for students who have sent their digital immigration documents by email or for European students whose immigration permission were checked online. Should there be any changes in regulations where we will need to verify your documents in person we will contact you.

Please note we cannot allow you to start your course if you do not have the correct immigration permission.