CLOSED: The Guapamacátaro Centre for Art and Ecology, Michoacán, Mexico
Application deadline has now passed
Residency duration: 7 - 30 June 2019
The Guapamacátaro Centre for Art and Ecology is a site-based and community-oriented initiative where artists from different disciplines, scientists, educators and activists converge to foster culture, collaboration and sustainable development. Our program has been around for 12 years, granting space and production support for people who are doing innovative work worldwide, across the arts and sciences. During their stay (25 days), participants use the hacienda grounds as a laboratory for the creative process and engaging with the local community. They are free to work whenever desired in the provided studios and anywhere in the property. Experimentation is encouraged as is discourse and collaboration.
Participants are encouraged to involve the local community in their projects, and required to impart a 1.5 hour workshop, lecture, demonstration, or other public event free of charge through our established partnerships with local schools and youth organizations.
AER at Guapamacátaro provides:
- 25 day residency
- International flight London-Mexico City and arrival and departure in private van from/to Mexico City.
- Live/work space: Single or double occupancy bedrooms and studios, plus common areas at the hacienda.
- Production assistance to realize one or more projects while in residency.
- Public exhibition at the Open House event on the last week of the residency.
- Digital catalog showcasing each participant’s work, with a review written by a guest curator or writer.
- Connections with Mexico’s cultural and academic presenters.
- Living expenses: All utilities, cleaning services, drinking water and three prepared meals per day
- UAL grant of £500 on completion of the residency and final report
Please note the applicants are responsible for visa, health and travel insurances
All additional costs are charged to the resident