skip to main content

Help and support for English course students

Useful Information

Important visa updates

Urgent arrival information for international students from:

  • South Korea
  • Japan
  • Singapore
  • Australia
  • Canada
  • New Zealand
  • USA

Students joining the Language Centre for short-term study (less than 6 months) must not use the automated eGates when arriving in the UK. You will need to see a Border Officer on arrival to get a Short Term Study visa stamp. Please note that you will also need to keep your boarding pass or flight ticket.

If you use the eGates, you will be granted entry as a general visitor, which means you cannot study for more than 30 days. If your course is longer than 30 days you will need to leave the UK and return with the correct visa stamp.

Please read our short term study visa information if you are from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland and will study English for a short period of time at UAL Language Centre. If you have any questions, please email

Pre-departure guide

If you are coming from overseas, please read our Pre-Departure Guide for 2019 (PDF 615 KB) before you travel to the UK to join your English course at the Language Centre.

the Pre-departure guide contains practical suggestions including what to bring with you to London, safety information and what to do on your first day at the Language Centre. You may find it useful to print it out and bring it with you when you come to the UK.

Administration and welfare

Our administration team can help you with Oyster cards (London Underground and buses), course extensions, accommodation, bank letters and general guidance for living in London.

Our Welfare Officer can help you with any other issues, from registering with a doctor to personal problems.


Your English course fees include insurance, provided by Endsleigh Insurance. Please note that this policy does not cover students on our Languages, Arts and Culture or English Language Support programmes.

The policy starts from the moment we receive your booking and covers cancellation, medical and theft, among many other things. We hope that this will give you the security you need when coming overseas to study with us. See important information about the insurance for the 2019/20 academic year.

Social programme

Language Centre students have access to a wide range of exciting UAL Social Programme events. Most Social Programme activities are free, but some activities such as theatre trips and trips outside London that you will need to pay for. The most you could expect to pay would be £25.

The UAL Students’ Union (Arts SU) offers a wide range of clubs and societies which Language Centre students are welcome to join. The cost of joining a club or society is around £7 a year.

Occasionally we also run teacher-accompanied after school trips to restaurants and other places of interest in London for our students.

For regular updates on social programme events: