Modern Languages at UAL
Learn a modern language with an arts and culture focus. Choose from Arabic, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Mandarin Chinese or Spanish.
Our language classes are based on weekly arts and culture themes, which you will explore while you learn the language. We will focus on your speaking, listening, reading and writing skills as well as grammar and vocabulary to develop your ability to communicate in the language you have chosen.
- Course duration: 6 weeks
- Location: online*
- Class duration: 2 hours a week
- Class times: 6pm – 8pm (there is currently one morning French beginner class from 10am-12pm)
- Course fee: £190
- Languages and Culture course Terms and Conditions
Due to Covid-19 restrictions, all modern languages classes will take place online in Autumn 2020 (Term 1). Classes would, outside of this period, be held at High Holborn.
Please note: From Autumn 2020, our Languages, Arts and Culture courses will only be open to UAL students and staff.
Language Exam Preparation Courses (optional)
You can also choose to take a language proficiency exam at the end of the academic year for the following languages and levels:
- French DELF (Diplôme d'Etudes en Langue Française) at A1 level
- Japanese JLPT (Japanese Language Proficiency Test) at N5 level
You will be expected to do approximately 40 hours of guided self-study throughout the year and in term 3, we will offer a 10-hour preparation course to help you prepare for your exam.
Your tutor will give you more guidance and information as you progress through the year
How online courses work
UAL modern languages courses will be held online using Microsoft Teams. Students and tutors meet every week for six weeks in the virtual classroom where interactive and communicative language classes will be taught. The class times will be at 6pm GMT with some classes at 10am GMT to give students from different time zones a chance to participate.
Students will be grouped and paired in online ‘break-out rooms’ for collaborative activities such as dialogues, sharing ideas and comparing answers to activities, listening and reading tasks. These classes will be live and students are expected to attend 100% of the course in order to receive an attendance certificate at the end of term. As in face to face classes, students are expected to be punctual and the tutor reserves the right to refuse entry to the class if lateness is disruptive.
Weekly handouts, homework activities and additional learning materials will be made available on your virtual classroom so you can do self-study and also collaborate with your classmates between lessons each week. You will be able to upload your work for your tutor to view and give you feedback. Your active participation in your online class is a requirement for successful language learning.
Please note that the course content will be made available for students for up to one month after the course finishes.
Important things to note
- Full participation in class is expected
- Cameras and microphones should be switched on for pronunciation practice and group work
- Classes might be recorded in accordance with UAL’s policies and procedures for learning purposes
- Contact your tutor in advance if you have any problems with the above
- A desktop computer or laptop (tablets and phones can be used but some functionality will be limited)
- An up-to-date version of Google Chrome
- Microsoft Teams App (you will receive guidance on how to download and use this)
- A fast and reliable internet connection - a minimum of 1Mbps is required
Ask a question
Please contact us by emailing LAC@arts.ac.uk.
What our students say
- “My course was very well designed for beginners, the teacher was very helpful"
- "I really enjoyed the lessons. The atmosphere was positive and friendly and I found out a lot of useful stuff"
- "Excellent teacher, explains complicated grammar and rules well and makes it easy to understand"
- "Great teacher, super motivating and encouraging - I'd love to continue!"
- "Fantastic class! Looking forward to a follow up!"
- "The studying process was very interesting and easygoing"
- "The lessons were very enjoyable and fun. I have learned a lot and feel more confident"