Skip to main content

International students and money

International students are charged different tuition fees and have different funding options to Home students.

Check if you would have International or Home fee status.

Tuition fees

If you're an International applicant, you'll need to pay a deposit of £4,000 to secure a place on your course. The remainder of the tuition fee for the first year of your course must be paid before you enrol at the start of the academic year. Once you have enrolled, the deposit will contribute towards your total tuition fee payment.

If you are being sponsored by an official financial sponsor, as defined by UK Visas and Immigration, a deposit payment waiver can be requested. Evidence of sponsorship must be uploaded to your UAL portal.

Learn more about Tuition fees at UAL.

Living costs and additional course costs

It can be difficult to know how much money you may need to spend whilst you are here, on things like study materials, trips, accommodation, travel and food. Have a look at our information on living expenses and study costs to get an idea of what to expect and how to get the most out of your money.


Funding available to students with International fee status is very limited, and the majority of such students would not be able to receive any funding.

You can explore the following resources to see if there is any funding that may be available for you:

Visas and financial requirements

Most students with International fee status will need a Tier 4 (General) or Student visa to study at UAL. To make a successful application for this visa, students usually need to meet financial requirements, including having funds to cover the tuition fee for the first year of their course, plus a specified amount of money for living costs. For further information, please see our visa application guides.

Working whilst you study

Many students work part-time during their studies to gain some money to support their studies and living costs. There are certain limits on the type of work, and the weekly number of hours of work, that students can do if they have a Tier 4 (General) or Student visa. Visit the Work as an International Student page for more information on these restrictions, and how to find work.

Opening a bank account in the UK

After arriving in the UK, it can take a few weeks for a student to open a bank account in the UK. Therefore, it is important that all students plan to be without a UK bank account during this time. You can find more helpful information in our guide to Living in London.


The Student Advice Service is available to provide further information and support on financial matters related to your course.