skip to main content

Veterans Affairs Funding

Veterans Affairs (VA) Educational Funding is a benefit paid to former US service personnel to fund their education, or the education of a close family member.

US Veterans can use Chapter 33 (post 9/11 GI Bill) and Chapter 35 benefits to fund their studies at University of the Arts London. This page will provide you with the information on application steps, eligibility criteria, approved programme list, enrolment confirmation and benefit payment rates. If your programme is not on the approved programme list, it is important you contact us as soon as possible as the applications take a few months to process.

VA funding application steps

You may be eligible for funding from the US Department of Veterans’ Affairs if you, or one of your parents, has served in the United States Armed Forces.

Step 1: Eligibility and application
Contact the US Department of Veterans Affairs to find out whether you are entitled to receive any education benefits. Applications for VA funding can be made online through the United States Department of Veterans' Affairs website or for advice contact 1-888-GI-BILL1 (442-4551).

Step 2: Tell us about your eligibility for VA
As soon as you have applied for your course at UAL please email Student Funding Service at and submit a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility from the US Department of Veterans' Affairs.

Step 3: Course approval
It may take few months for the Department of Veterans' Affairs to approve or decline a course for educational benefits. It is important that you contact us as soon as possible, provide all the necessary information and make financial arrangements to cover your expenses for the initial few months of your course. Please check the Department of Veterans Affairs approved UAL course list on this page.

Step 4: VA student enrolment confirmation
UAL will need to confirm your enrolment before your educational benefits can be released. Confirmation will be sent to the Department of Veterans Affairs via VA Form 22-1999 (Enrolment Certificate). This will only be done once you have fully enrolled on your course.

Step 5: Payments of the VA funds
Payments for tuition fees will be made directly to UAL on your behalf on a termly basis by cheque. You will be notified when the funds reach UAL and if there is any shortfall in your tuition fees.

VA approved UAL course list

Before contacting us, please check if your course has been approved by the Department of Veterans' Affairs.

Currently, the following UAL courses have been approved by the VA:

  • BA (Hons) Fashion
  • BA (Hons) Journalism
  • BA (Hons) Photography
  • BA (Hons) Public Relations
  • BA (Hons) Sound Arts and Design
  • BA (Hons) Theatre
  • MA Acting
  • MA Applied Imagination in the Creative Industries
  • MA Fashion Entrepreneurship and Innovation
  • MFA Fine Arts

My course is not on VA approved course list

If your course does not appear in the above list you will need to email the following to the Student Funding Service at

  • Scanned copy of your Certificate of Eligibility from the Department of Veterans' Affairs
  • Your full name
  • Your date of birth
  • Your social security number
  • Your address
  • Title of the course.

VA educational benefit payment rates

VA educational benefit payment rates

Post-9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33) Payment Rates for 2018-19 (1 August 2018 - 31 July 2019)

  • Foreign School Tuition Fee Payment - up to $23,671.94 per academic year National Maximum.
  • Foreign School Monthly Housing Allowance (MHA) Rate - $1,650.00
  • A yearly books and supplies stipend of up to $1,000.00 paid proportionately based on enrolment.
  • More detailed information on educational benefits can be found on US Department of Veterans' Affairs website.

Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program (DEA/Chapter 35)

  • Chapter 35 benefits are for the use of a dependent (spouse or child) of a US Veteran.
  • $1,224.00 per month payable to dependent (rate published 1 October 2018, for more information and up to date rates visit the US Department of Veteran Affairs' website).