Students who are aged 19 or over may be eligible for an Advanced Learner Loan to pay for their tuition fees for the Foundation Diploma in Art and Design.
The Advanced Learner Loan can cover the tuition fee and the separate registration and examination fee - see Further Education Tuition Fees for amounts.
To be eligible for this loan at UAL you must meet certain requirements:
- Studying on the Foundation Diploma Art and Design in 2020/21
- Be aged 19 or over on 19 October 2020 (the first day of the course)
- Be living in the UK on 19 October 2020 (the first day of the course)
- Have been living in the UK, Channel Islands, or the Isle of Man for three years prior to the first day of the course
- Be a UK national or have ‘settled’ status in the UK.
If you're an EU national then you are also eligible if you were resident in the EEA or Switzerland for three years prior to the start of your course. You must also meet the relevant age and course requirements above.
The following people may also be eligible, subject to guidance:
- a UK national, or someone with settled status, but you live somewhere else in the European Economic Area (EEA)
- living outside the UK and is a serving member of the UK armed forces, their spouse/civil partner or a dependent parent living with a serving member
- family members of an EU national
- EEA or Swiss workers in the UK and their family members
- children of Swiss nationals
- children of Turkish workers
- refugees or those granted humanitarian protection and their family members
- those living in the UK for 20 years or half their life
- those with stateless leave granted by the Home Office and their family members
- those granted Domestic Violence Indefinite Leave to Remain (DVILR).
- those granted ‘Calais leave’ to remain, or are a child of someone granted ‘Calais leave’ to
Contact the Student Advice Service for detailed eligibility guidance and evidence requirements if you fall into one of these categories.
There are limited numbers of loans available to UAL students, so the loan cannot be guaranteed.
Before applying you must have an offer of a place on the Foundation Diploma in Art & Design.
- You will be provided with a Learning and Funding Information Letter from the University which you need for the loan application. This is usually in May.
- Apply for the Advanced Learner Loan at Student Finance England.
- If successful, you'll receive a letter from Student Finance England confirming that your loan has been approved.
- Enrol at your College showing your loan confirmation letter from Student Finance England.
- Your tuition fees will be paid directly to the University by Student Finance England.
Repayments and interest
You’ll be due to start repaying your loan in the April after you complete or leave your course. You’ll only start making repayments when your income is over £25,725 a year which is equivalent to earning £494 a week, or £2143 a month. If your income falls below these amounts, repayments will stop and only re-start when your income is over these amounts. You will pay back 9% of the money you earn over £25,725.
If you want to make voluntary repayments, you can do so at any time by contacting the Student Loans Company.
Example repayment amounts
Your monthly repayments would be:
- £9 a month - if you earned £27,000 a year
- £32 a month - if you earned £30,000 a year
You are charged interest on the Advanced Learner Loan while you study until the date your loan is repaid in full. Visit Student Loan Repayments for details.
If you leave your course early
Payment of your loan will not be made to your College until you’ve attended your course for more than two weeks.
If you leave after more than two weeks, you’ll have to pay back any loan payments that have been made, based on the length of time you attended your course.
Once you stop attending, the loan payments will stop. These are the terms and conditions of the loan scheme and not UAL terms and conditions.
The Student Advice Service is available to provide further information and support on financial matters related to your course.