skip to main content

Presessional Accommodation

UAL students in the park in the summer

At UAL we want you to feel at home whilst you study with us.

If this is your first time studying in the UK, we recommend staying in our halls of residence to get yourself familiar with London before you explore further options. Accommodation is available in our halls of residence for UAL summer course students including:

  • Presessional English, Pre-Foundation English and EPIC Programme
  • Orientation to Art and Design at Central Saint Martins
  • Foundation Plus at Central Saint Martins
  • Preparation for Foundation, BA/MA at Chelsea, Camberwell or Wimbledon

UAL Halls of Residence

Benefits of staying in UAL halls include:

  • Well-situated for convenient public transport
  • Close proximity to local facilities and services
  • Rent includes all utility bills, plus super fast Wifi
  • Free home insurance with Endsleigh
  • Free Airport Collection for new international students
  • 24/7 secure hall and 24-hour residence support team
  • Bike storage and laundry facilities
  • The UK’s leading social programme
  • A dedicated Residence Manager in every hall
  • An International Adviser to assist with your application

Which halls are available to Presessional students?

For Presessional students, we recommend The Costume Store (standard room: £189 per week) and Will Wyatt Court (standard room: £195 per week).

You can also apply to stay in Brooke Hall, Gardens House, Glassyard Building, Highline Building, Portland House and Sketch House, where rooms become available. Please contact our team for more information about prices for 2017/18. For more information about our halls of residences, please visit the link below:

(Subject to operational needs, you may be required to move to an alternative room during your stay.)

Essential information

How to apply

We will start taking applications from mid-March.

Step 1: Register for an account at our Student Accommodation Portal.

Step 2: Log in to submit your application.

Step 3: We will send you an offer email as soon as we can. Follow the instructions in the email to accept your offer.


  • Apply as soon as you can.
  • If you have friends who you want to stay together with, you can make a request on your application.
  • Keep an eye on your emails regularly (including the junk folder).

Make sure you submit your application for the current academic year of 2017–18 and select the appropriate arrival date for your course.

To stay in our halls, you MUST apply online and sign a Tenancy Agreement with us.

  • Do NOT arrange hall accommodation with another UAL student/resident in private. This is known as sub-letting and is illegal in the UK.
  • Do NOT pay your rent to another student as you may run a risk of losing money and not getting it back.

Acceptance and payment

Read the Tenancy Agreement & Regulations carefully before you accept your offer or make a payment. You can choose to pay your rent by either setting up an automatic card payment plan or via a bank transfer. Once you have signed your contract and paid your advance rent, deposit and administration fee, totalling £510, you have completed the process.

For halls that are managed by our external partners, follow the instructions given by them to accept and pay for your offer.

Summer accommodation

As an alternative option, if your summer course starts after the end of June, you may also consider booking a room at Don Gratton House, Gardens House or Sketch House at a discounted summer price by entering the promotional code ‘presessional’ when you book online. This is a separate booking system, which is also open to the general public and is different from the student application system at the top of this page. Free bedding, towels and weekly cleaning are provided to residents while continental breakfast is also included at both Sketch House and Gardens House. You will be required to make a full payment at the time of booking. For further details and to book, visit the Summer Accommodation page.

The end of your summer stay

Your tenancy has a fixed end date. By the end of August, if you have accepted an offer to stay in the same hall of residence and the same room type for your main academic course, we aim to let you continue to stay in your room.

If you choose to stay in a different hall or room type for your main course, we will try to keep you in our halls before your new room is ready. When it is not possible to stay with us during this short period, we will offer advice and assist you to book temporary private accommodation until your full-time accommodation starts; we will also provide transport to take you to your temporary accommodation and return to our halls when your new room with us is ready.

Alternatively, if you choose not to stay with us for your full-time course, we can offer advice on private accommodation.

Stay with us in 2018-2019

If you want to continue to stay with us for your main academic course, remember to submit a separate application (beginning in April) using the 2018-2019 application form. Note that hall pricing for 2018–2019 may differ from your summer stay.

Airport collection service

We offer a one-off free airport collection service to students coming to UAL for the first time from a non-EU country. Visit our Airport Collection Service page for more details and to book.

Private accommodation

If you decide not to live in halls, our Private Accommodation Adviser can give advice and even read over your housing contract. Our private accommodation pages contain useful information about renting privately.

Please do not try to book private accommodation before you come to London. You must be in London first as you will need to view the property before you pay any money for it. You need to check it is good for you to live in, and landlords are also required by law to meet you in person before they allow you to move in. If you are considering private accommodation, please contact our Advisor at for advice.