skip to main content

Accommodated Assessment

Students who are disabled, or have a Specific Learning Difficulty such as dyslexia, may sometimes need additional time to complete assignments and exams, or need to complete them in a different way.

University of the Arts London (UAL)  has a formal procedure for arranging additional time and alternative assessment methods. This is called ‘Accommodated Assessment’.

You can find more details and guidance on at: Accommodated Assessment for Disabled Students

Students are welcome to contact the Disability Service by emailing to find out if accommodated assessment is appropriate for them. Students will need to:

  • Provide evidence of their impairment, long-term health condition or Specific Learning Difficulty.
  • Have an appointment with a Disability Adviser to discuss their access requirements and support needs.

Together, the student and their Disability Adviser will identify where an accommodated assessment arrangement may be required. The information is included in the student’s Individual Support Agreement (ISA).

To find out whether you already have an arrangement for accommodated assessment in place, please contact the Disability Service by emailing

Requesting additional time

If you already have an Individual Support Agreement (ISA) which includes arrangements for additional time, you can choose to use additional time as and when you need it, for specific assessments.

You need to contact your course team at least two weeks in advance of the general deadline to confirm that you wish to make use of additional time.

Arrangements for requesting additional time vary according to your course/College. Your ISA, assessment brief or Course Handbook should provide details of who to contact.

You should make sure that you know when your adjusted deadline is. This may be published within the assessment brief or course handbook. If it is not, make sure you ask your course team to confirm the deadline to you.

If you are not sure what to do, you can contact your course administrator or your Disability Adviser for help.

Requesting other assessment adjustments

To find out more about other types of accommodated assessment, such as alternative methods of producing or submitting assessed work, please contact your Disability Adviser as far in advance as possible.