skip to main content

Insurance, health and safety

Make sure your insurance arrangements are in order before you go on an exchange.

UAL insurance

UAL has a basic insurance policy covering students going abroad but it is not comprehensive. Note in particular that students are not insured for any activity that is not related to their course or the University. It is therefore recommended that students take their own insurance for the period they are abroad.

Prior to travel, all students must read the Travel cover summary which outlines cover and procedures necessary to ensure all medical emergencies are handled smoothly. Remember to always retain invoices/receipts for all expenditure incurred. You will need to produce these to support your claim.

Health and Safety

  • Consider if immunisation is necessary. The decision to get vaccinated is a personal decision and cannot be enforced, but if you decide not to be vaccinated when it has been recommended, this is likely to invalidate health insurance and may restrict travel.
  • Take advice from your GP. If you have to take any medication for any ongoing medical condition, ensure that you have an ample supply for the entire duration of your trip. This should be split up between your hand luggage and checked-in luggage in case one of your bags is lost.
  • It is recommended that if you have any preexisting medical conditions they should be disclosed to your host institution.
  • You are advised to have a dental check before you depart.
  • If you would like to discuss any personal issue, don’t hesitate to contact the Counselling, Health Advice and Chaplaincy department.
  • Remember that students going to a non-European country will need to purchase compulsory health insurance abroad (eg. university health insurance plans in the USA).

Visit the Fit For Travel website for more information.

You must at all times obey the Health and Safety rules in your host institution, as well as UAL's Health and Safety policy.

The foreign and commonwealth office strongly recommend photocopies of passports and other relevant documents are taken and kept separate from the originals.

European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)

The EHIC card is available to Individuals that are UK nationals or who have permanent residency within the UK.

Holders of the card are entitled to access state-provided healthcare in all European Economic Area (EEA) countries and Switzerland at a reduced cost or sometimes free of charge. Visit the EHIC webpage on the NHS Choices website for further details about the level of cover that is provided.

The EHIC is NOT an alternative to travel insurance. It will not cover any private medical healthcare or the cost of things such as mountain rescue in ski resorts, repatriation to the UK or lost or stolen property. You should also be aware that these cards expire – they are valid for five years so you should check that if you have one it is still valid.

Students who are not UK nationals or who do not have permanent residency but are from a country within the European Economic Area should consult with their embassies to see if they can obtain such a document.