skip to main content

Eligibility criteria for exchanges

If you are a student at UAL, find out whether you could go on an exchange visit abroad.

Who can go on an exchange?

To be eligible for an exchange, students must:

  • be registered at UAL at the time of application
  • be an undergraduate (2nd or 3rd year, not 1st year) or a postgraduate student (up to doctorate) or enrolled in short term higher vocational education (this includes Foundation Degree) at the time of mobility. This will depend on the offer of the course you are attending.
  • undertake full time study at a partner institution for 3-12 months (or 1-3 terms)
  • respect the following: the total duration of all Erasmus grants received may not exceed 12 months per study cycle.

When can an exchange take place?

Comparative academic calendars

Academic calendars can be different in each country. Systems of two semesters are out of step with our three terms, but there are not any insurmountable problems associated with this.

For details of term/semester dates for Erasmus and International exchange, check the host university's website.

Host universities in the southern hemisphere start their academic year in January.

European Academic year (two semesters)

First Semester: September/October to the end of January = 14 weeks (e.g. equivalent to Camberwell, Chelsea and Wimbledon Second Year units 5 and 6)

Second Semester: February to the end of June/July  = 14 weeks (e.g.equivalent to Camberwell, Chelsea and Wimbledon Second Year units 7 and 8)

Academic year in USA and Canada (two semesters)

First semester: end of August/beginning of September to end of December

Second semester: January to the end of May

Periods of mobility by College

The period of exchange study is subject to your College/course policy on exchange arrangements, although most (but not all) Erasmus exchanges occur in the second year of the Bachelor.

To get the list of UAL partners for each course, the possible periods of mobility and the application deadlines, please contact your college International Office.

Where can exchange students go?

Before the exchange begins, an Inter-institutional Agreement for student exchanges must be in place between UAL and a partner institution. Students can only apply for an exchange with an existing UAL partner.

Not all courses at UAL participate in exchange programmes. The first step is to consider the exchange offers linked to your course. Exchanges are based on contractual documents called bilateral agreements. UAL has different types of agreements with partner institutions:

  • Erasmus bilateral agreements: Erasmus agreements are set up between two European institutions to enable student and staff exchanges. Erasmus agreements are governed by the European Commission rules and entitle you to receive an Erasmus grant.
  • Non-Erasmus agreements: UAL has signed other bilateral exchange agreements with non-European universities allowing student or staff exchange.

Find information about your possible destination

  • University websites provide the most up-to-date information and should be of help in making your choice.
  • Look up information about the city and what it offers in terms of museums, theatres and what is available nearby.
  • Start networking: seek information from visiting students or returning UAL students about the host institutions you have in mind.
  • Look at blogs of students currently or previously on exchange in the Handbook for outgoing students.
  • Seek advice from the Exchange coordinator at your College, or the designated academic for your course (for example, your Course Leader).