Finance for Erasmus Traineeships
Erasmus grants are funded by the European Commission (EC) through the British Council.
Please note that there is no guarantee of payment or automatic entitlement to a grant and there maybe situations in which the funding will not be available.
The grants will not cover all normal student living expenses but are a contribution towards the extra costs arising from traineeship abroad.
More information is available on the British Council website.
Erasmus grant entitlements
Your Erasmus grant entitlement will depend on the country where your traineeship will take place:
- GROUP 1 countries (high cost of living): Austria, Denmark, Finland, France, Ireland, Italy, Lichtenstein, Norway and Sweden. Monthly grant: €430
- GROUP 2 countries (medium cost of living): Belgium, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Portugal, Slovenia, Spain and Turkey. Monthly grant: €380
- GROUP 3 countries (low cost of living): Bulgaria, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Poland, Romania and Slovakia. Monthly grant: €380
When will I be paid?
The total grant will be paid in two instalments:
- 70% at the start, within 30 days following the signature of the Grant Agreement for Erasmus+ Traineeships by both parties.
- 30% at the end of the placement, upon successful completion of mobility period: provided you have submitted the Traineeship Certificate and have completed the online EU survey (must be done within 30 days from the end date of the mobility period).
We aim for the Finance department to transfer funds within 45 days after all required documents are received. Note that you might not be entitled to this second payment if, after calculation of the exact length of your stay, your first instalment represented in fact the entire grant you were entitled to.
How are payments made?
Payments are made in GBP (pound sterling) by direct bank transfer from UAL to your UK GBP Sterling bank account only, using the bank details you provided in the grant agreement.
What happens if I cancel my study mobility or return early?
In all cases of cancellation or premature termination any Erasmus grant received must be repaid.