As Reader within the art programme at Central Saint Martins, Lucy Steeds manages the Exhibition Histories project for Afterall. She contributes to the MRes Art: Exhibition Studies course at CSM and convenes the Exhibitions: Histories, Practices research group. Working across the University of the Arts London, Lucy has responsibility for postgraduate research training – as Convenor of the Research Network (RNUAL) – and she is a member of the Research Centre for Transnational Art, Identity and Nation (TrAIN).
Lucy has a PhD in Cultural History from Goldsmiths College, University of London, having originally studied Experimental Psychology (Balliol College, Oxford University), then Art History (Courtauld Institute, London) and Visual Cultures (Goldsmiths College, London). Her curatorial experience is anchored in six years of work at Arnolfini in Bristol (1998–2004), and includes more recent initiatives such as the Magiciens de la Terre: Reconsidered film programme at Tate Modern.
Contemporary Art and Theory, Exhibition Histories, Exhibition Studies.
I approach the history and theory of contemporary art on the basis that art’s potential is event-based and context-dependent. My research is centred on the field of exhibition histories, with ‘exhibition’ understood in an expanded sense, as taking on myriad forms and without necessarily privileging the museum, gallery or biennial as host. Interested in both the ontology of contemporary art and related issues of historiography, I seek to learn from a geopolitical diversity of experiences, thinking and practices.
2015–16, ‘The Other Story: British Art/Exhibition Histories Online’, Paul Mellon Centre for British Art, Digital Project Grant.
2014–16, ‘Exhibition, Design, Participation’, Paul Mellon Centre for British Art, Publications Grant.
- Exhibition Histories and Afrofictions - Steeds, Lucy and Mabaso, Nkule (2017) Exhibition Histories and Afrofictions. [Show/Exhibition] (http://ualresearchonline.arts.ac.uk/11721/)
- 'Goshka Macuga, "Picture Room", 2003' [republished 2017] - Steeds, Lucy (2017) 'Goshka Macuga, "Picture Room", 2003' [republished 2017]. In: The Artist as Curator: An Anthology. Mousse Publishing, Milan, pp. 324-339. (http://ualresearchonline.arts.ac.uk/11146/)
- Exhibitability and Cult Value - Steeds, Lucy (2017) Exhibitability and Cult Value. Aroop, 2 (1). (In Press) (http://ualresearchonline.arts.ac.uk/11056/)
- What is the Future of Exhibition Histories? Or, Toward Art in Terms of Its Becoming-Public - Steeds, Lucy (2016) What is the Future of Exhibition Histories? Or, Toward Art in Terms of Its Becoming-Public. In: The Curatorial Conundrum: What to Study? What to Research? What to Practice? The MIT Press. ISBN 9780262529105 (http://ualresearchonline.arts.ac.uk/9686/)
- Exhibition, Design, Participation: ‘an Exhibit’ 1957 and Related Projects - Crippa, Elena and Steeds, Lucy (2016) Exhibition, Design, Participation: ‘an Exhibit’ 1957 and Related Projects. Exhibition Histories. London: Afterall Books. ISBN 978-3-86335-897-6 (http://ualresearchonline.arts.ac.uk/9685/)
- 當代藝術、策展實踐與多元文化脈絡下的多重展覽史 (‘Contemporary Art, Curating and Exhibition Histories’) - Steeds, Lucy (2015) 當代藝術、策展實踐與多元文化脈絡下的多重展覽史 (‘Contemporary Art, Curating and Exhibition Histories’). Art Critique of Taiwan | ACT 藝術觀點 (64). ISSN 1561-1493 (http://ualresearchonline.arts.ac.uk/8896/)
- Exhibitions [of Drawings] in Britain, 1964–80 / Expositions [de dessin] en Grande-Bretagne, 1964–1980 - Steeds, Lucy (2015) Exhibitions [of Drawings] in Britain, 1964–80 / Expositions [de dessin] en Grande-Bretagne, 1964–1980. In: Towards Visibility – Exhibiting Contemporary Drawing – 1964-1980 / Vers le visible – Exposer le dessin contemporain – 1964-1980. Roven éditions and Musée Jenisch, Paris and Vevey, pp. 54-85. ISBN 978-2-918450-27-6 / 978-2-918450-24-5 (http://ualresearchonline.arts.ac.uk/8895/)
- Biennial Exhibition Histories, Against the Grain: Juraci Dórea’s Projeto Terra in São Paulo, Venice and Havana - Steeds, Lucy (2015) Biennial Exhibition Histories, Against the Grain: Juraci Dórea’s Projeto Terra in São Paulo, Venice and Havana. In: Making Biennials in Contemporary Times: Essays from the World Biennial Forum No.2. Biennial Foundation, Fundação Bienal de São Paulo, Instituto de Cultura Contemporânea, Amsterdam and Sao Paulo, pp. 37-45. (http://ualresearchonline.arts.ac.uk/8010/)
- Exhibition - Steeds, Lucy (2014) Exhibition. Documents of Contemporary Art . Whitechapel Gallery and The MIT Press, London. ISBN 9780262526586 (http://ualresearchonline.arts.ac.uk/6985/)
- Making Art Global (Part 2): 'Magiciens de la Terre' 1989 - Steeds, Lucy (2013) Making Art Global (Part 2): 'Magiciens de la Terre' 1989. Exhibition Histories, 4 . Afterall, London. ISBN 9781846381188; 9783863352585 (http://ualresearchonline.arts.ac.uk/2932/)
- SashaBurkhanovaCentral Saint Martins. - The (co-constitutive) ethics of a contemporary art curator
- John KannenbergLondon College of Communication. - Listening to Museums: Curating the Ephemeral Sonic Object