Alison Green holds a PhD from Oxford Brookes and an MA from the University of Texas at Austin, and is Senior Lecturer on the BA (Hons) Criticism, Communication and Curation course at Central Saint Martins. She is an art historian, critic and curator with twin interests in contemporary art and the legacies of Modernism.
Critical theory, modernism, theories of history, practices of curating and criticism.
My research is concerned with the changing interpretations, both visual and historical, of works of art and avant-garde practices in the Postwar period, particularly the sometimes competing pressures between subjectivity and conventionality in artistic representations.
In addition to writing and giving talks on contemporary art, I am currently working on several research-based projects: a book on art in New York at the end of the 1950s; an exhibition project on the late 60s work of Carolee Schneemann; an exhibition of drawings by the installation artist Paul Dickerson; and a book on artist-curators.
- Intermedia, Exile and Carolee Schneemann - Green, Alison (2015) Intermedia, Exile and Carolee Schneemann. In: Across the Great Divide: Modernism's Intermedialities from Fluxus to Futurism. Cambridge Scholars Publishing, Newcastle upon Tyne, pp. 137-157. ISBN 1-4438-54786 (http://ualresearchonline.arts.ac.uk/9806/)
- Lorna Simpson Interviewed by Alison Green - Green, Alison (2014) Lorna Simpson Interviewed by Alison Green. Art Monthly (377). pp. 2-8. ISSN 01426702 (http://ualresearchonline.arts.ac.uk/7034/)
- Expanding Fields - An Appendix - Hart, Anna and Green, Alison (2012) Expanding Fields - An Appendix. Documentation. AIR, London. (http://ualresearchonline.arts.ac.uk/7031/)
- The indiscipline of painting - Green, Alison (2011) The indiscipline of painting. In: The Indiscipline of Painting. Tate Publications. (http://ualresearchonline.arts.ac.uk/3873/)
- A desire to know - Green, Alison (2011) A desire to know. Source Photographic Review, 65. ISSN 1369-2224 (http://ualresearchonline.arts.ac.uk/3874/)
- Citizen Artists: Group Material - Green, Alison (2011) Citizen Artists: Group Material. Afterall: A Journal of Art, Context and Enquiry, 26. pp. 17-25. (http://ualresearchonline.arts.ac.uk/5388/)
- Believing in the devil: Caitlin Duennebier - Green, Alison (2010) Believing in the devil: Caitlin Duennebier. Source Photographic Review, 64. pp. 40-49. ISSN 1369-2224 (http://ualresearchonline.arts.ac.uk/3871/)
- What Remains - Green, Alison (2008) What Remains. In: Trevor Appleson: los loss. Photographs made in Mexico. Booth-Clibborn, London, i-xvi. ISBN 9781861543066 (http://ualresearchonline.arts.ac.uk/6079/)
- Paul Dickerson: As Art - Green, Alison and Houlberg, Barbara and Martin, Trevor (2007) Paul Dickerson: As Art. [Show/Exhibition] (http://ualresearchonline.arts.ac.uk/1118/)
- When Attitudes Become Form and the Contest over Conceptual Art's History - Green, Alison (2004) When Attitudes Become Form and the Contest over Conceptual Art's History. In: Conceptual Art: Theory, Myth and Practice. Cambridge University Press, pp. 123-143. ISBN ISBN-13: 9780521530873 | ISBN-10: 0521530873 (http://ualresearchonline.arts.ac.uk/1117/)
- Gustavo Grandal Montero - Concrete poetry, conceptual art and the 'turn to language' in the 1960s.
- John Miers - How do comics use metaphor to create narratives from drawn marks?