BiographyTony Pritchard is Course Leader for both Postgraduate Diploma Design for Visual Communication and Postgraduate Certificate Design for Visual Communication courses at London College of Communication. He has over 20 years professional experience working both as an associate with the graphic design consultancy Root 2 and has his own freelance practice.
Tony's areas of specialist interest are information design and typography. His work spans the arts, education, commercial and professional sectors.
Between 2000 and 2003, Tony organised the International Society of Typographic Designers lecture series for which he was awarded membership of the society and he is currently on the ISTD Education Committee.
In 2002 Tony co-organised a major London exhibition celebrating the Swiss poster collection of Siegfried Odermatt. In 2004 he was co-curator of Future Map Design 04, which was part of the London Design Festival. In 2007 Tony was commissioned by innovative music ensemble Icebreaker to design the packaging of a commemorative CD for the composer Philip Glass.
In 2012, Tony presented a paper at Cyprus University of Technology's first International Conference on Semiotics and Visual Communication. He was also featured in the film Visual Rhetoric, a collaborative project between London College of Communication and the London School of Economics (LSE).
Tony has written numerous articles for publications such as Eye, Computer Arts and Typographic. In 2016 he was published in Taking a Line for a Walk.
In September 2017 Tony interviewed pre-eminent book designer Jost Hochuli, to a sell-out audience; at this event he was awarded Fellow of the International Society of Typographic Designers (FISTD) by Freda Sack and David Coates.
Tony is currently managing editor for Typographic, the journal of the International Society of Typographic Designers. He is also co-authoring a book on British Modernist graphic design with Ian McLaren.
- Pritchard T. King's Hill: A Place of Landings (2019)
- Pritchard T. Type in Space: Experiments in Mixed Reality (2019)
- Pritchard T. Geoff White: Awarded an Honorary FISTD (2017)
- Pritchard T. Jost Hochuli: Awarded an Honorary FISTD (2017)
- Pritchard T. Typography: Use Space Effectively (2016)
- Pritchard T. Setting the Standard (2011)
- Pritchard T. Graphic Language (2010)
- Pritchard T. Information overlord (beautiful evidence): a review of Edward Tufte’s lecture for eye magazine (2010)
- Pritchard T. ISTD/LCP (2003)
- Pritchard T. Taking a Line for a Walk: Assignments in design education (2016)
- Pritchard T. A Course in Visual Communication (2014)
- Bestley R, Noble I, Pritchard T. Up against the Wall: International Poster Design (2002)
- Noble I, Bestley R, Pritchard T. Experimental Layout (2002)
Communication and graphic design