BiographyPaul McNeil is a graphic designer specialising in typography, information and systems design. He has over 30 years’ experience working in corporate brand communications and visual identity for the UK telecommunications, government, public and charity sectors. In 1988, he established McNeil Design, a consultancy operating in long-term strategic relationships with marketing and public relations partners.
He works in the Postgraduate Design area at the London College of Communication as Course Leader of MA Contemporary Typographic Media. In 2012, he was honoured with a Student’s Union White Square Teaching Award in recognition of excellent practice in facilitating learning.
His academic research studies concern investigations into typographic systems and the use of generative methods in visual communications.
McNeil is a partner in MuirMcNeil, a collaborative venture with Hamish Muir, exploring systems approaches to design for communication. In 2010 they wrote and designed U:D/R 03, a research paper published by Unit Editions, concerning their ThreeSix parametric type design project. The publication and the typeface won two prestigious awards from The ISTD (International Society of Typographic Designers) in 2011. ThreeSix typefaces are published by Fontshop International.
Member International Society of Typographic Designers
Member Typographic Circle
Fellow Higher Education Academy
Current research concerns a publication on the history of type and typography.
This will be a definitive publication in its field, which will provide a comprehensive visual survey of the major typefaces produced since the advent of printing with moveable types to the present day.
The book will be addressed to a wide international audience, consisting of those interested in visual culture, particularly graphic design practitioners, educators, historians and design students. It will also be of specific value as a resource to professional type designers and type design students.
The Visual History of Type and Typography will focus primarily on the direct and faithful visual representation of original type specimens, supported by brief, organised, incisive and useable contextual information.
The publication’s primary function will be as a resource displaying key historical design artefacts in the clearest, most concise and most elegant way possible, rather than making use of a body of existing visual material to illustrate and substantiate a lengthly discourse.
Emphasis is on the physical, tactile and visual. Origination, picture research, page layout and editorial strategy will therefore be approached holistically and be led by design and visual considerations.
- McNeil P, Muir H. Bringing the War Home Poster (2015)
- McNeil P, Muir H. Generator typeface and poster (2015)
- McNeil P, Muir H. Monotype Neue Haas Unica launch collateral (2015)
- McNeil P, Muir H. MuirMcNeil Point Posters (2015)
- McNeil P, Muir H. MuirMcNeil Point typefaces (2015)
- McNeil P, Muir H. Visual Grammar poster (2012)
- McNeil P, Muir H. Team Impression X Ten Project, poster and article (2011)
- McNeil P, Muir H. Design Museum Wim Crouwel exhibition Poster (2011)
- McNeil P, Muir H. MuirMcNeil ThreeSix type system (2010)
- McNeil P, Muir H. Print-Process ThreeSix Poster publication (2010)
- McNeil P. Form/Inform: an analysis of design work to examine the trajectory from graphic design education to professional practice. 8 designed artefacts (2003)
- McNeil P. Energy Saving Trust Domestic Energy Efficiency, promotional material (2002)
- McNeil P. iE Corporate and Brand Identity - The corporate identity for iE was commissioned through CWA Limited, marketing consultants, on behalf of a British technology company specialising in legacy integration systems and with two global activities; e-commerce solutions and technology products. (2002)
- McNeil P. The International Award Association (IAA) - corporate identity for IAA commissioned by Claire Dakin; create designs meeeting message-centred requirements. (2001)
- McNeil P, Muir H. ThreeSix (U:D/R 03) (2010)
- McNeil P. Design for Page 1 (2012)
Conference, Symposium or Workshop item
- McNeil P. Anadolu University Calligraphy and Typography (lecture and workshop) 2015 (2015)
- McNeil P. ThreeSix: Geometry/Aesthetics/Legibility (2013)
Current research students
- Gillian Brown, An analysis of the visual languages, tropes and conventions of scientific graphic design. (Lead supervisor)