Dr Melanie Dodd
BiographyMelanie is an architect and academic, previously holding leadership positions at London Metropolitan University, and RMIT University in Melbourne. She has been an ongoing collaborator with muf architecture/art since 1997, and was a contributory author to the practice publication ‘This is What We Do: A Muf Manual:’ (Ellipsis 2002).
She regularly sits on expert design review, examiner panels, international juries and awards including the GAGA Awards (2013), Korean University of the Arts External Examiner, and the Australian National Architecture Awards (2011).
She has curated major events and exhibitions, including the international Exhibition Architectural Urbanism: Melbourne Seoul: Seoul Melbourne, in the K-ARTS Gallery, Seoul (2013/14) and 2010 RAIA National Architecture Conference in Sydney).
Melanie’s teaching, practice and research interests focus on the relationships between social and political infrastructures, and built environments. She explores this through socially engaged practices in the city and has been responsible for innovative projects in the public realm in both London and Melbourne, working on social policy and initiatives for public space including Shared Ground for Southwark Council (1999-2001) and Do-It-Yourself Park for Mornington Shire Council, Melbourne (2008).
Her PhD by Practice (RMIT 2011) explored alternate and expanded roles for architectural practitioners, exploring the gap between the lived and the built. Her pedagogical practice focuses on the 'joined-up' relationship between teaching and practice explored in her book Live Projects: Designing with People (RMIT Press, 2012). She believes we need to engage with the constraints and conditions of the real world, and grapple creatively with the world around us by making real partnerships and undertaking live projects with community and industry.
- Dodd M. Baracco + Wright House Review (2016)
- Charlesworth E, Dodd M, Harrisson F. Live Projects: Designing with People (2012)
- Dodd M. SPACE and the City (2018)
- Dodd M. Who Makes The Project (2017)
- Dodd M. Double Agency: The Art School, Critical Practice and Architecture (2015)
- Dodd M. Managing Chaos not Cleaning Up Mess (2015)
- Dodd M. 'Afterword' in 'Architecture Live Projects: Pedagogy into Practice' (2014)
- Dodd M, Helsel S, Johnson A. Architectural Urbanism: Melbourne/Seoul (2013)
Current research students
- Adriana Cobo Corey, Collective Surfaces: Inclusion and Narratives of Taste in Architecture. (Lead supervisor)