BiographyLigaya Salazar is the Director of the Fashion Space Gallery. Her work as a curator and commissioner focuses on contemporary design, fashion and graphics. Ligaya was a Curator of Contemporary Programmes at the V&A from 2005-2013 where she curated the contemporary exhibitions Memory Palace in 2013, Yohji Yamamoto in 2011 and Fashion V Sport in 2008 for which she also edited the accompanying publications.
She devised the V&A Friday Late programme from 2008 –2010 and a series of fashion-related V&A Friday Late events at Wanderlust in Paris in 2012. She has also curated numerous Friday Late events including No Strings in 2011, British Fashion and Pen-Paper-Scissors in 2009 and Crafting Couture in 2007. She also co-curated two exhibitions that took place at the Fashion Space Gallery, Yohji Yamamoto at work in 2011 and Go Figure: New Fashion Illustration in 2012.
Working as an independent curator and advisor, she continues to curate the East London Comics and Arts Festival and was on the judging panel for the AOI Illustration Awards 2013. She writes regularly on contemporary design and fashion and is Contributing Editor to Varoom magazine.
My research interests lie in how a visitor experiences fashion and design through their display, both through the physical presentation within gallery and museum spaces and also through activating the objects and processes through live experiences. The focus of my continuing curatorial work is on commissioning new experimental work, bringing to life the design processes behind existing work and facilitating debate around current critical thinking in fashion and design.
Projects in 2014 included a two-week long series of events addressing the wider themes that FSG will address, an installation of imaginary experimental catwalk shows working with Simon Costin, establishing a new design residency for the gallery and an exhibition that investigates the relationship between design and manufacture in Britain. In addition to curating and commissioning my own exhibitions, events and installations, I work closely alongside internal and external curators researching and creating exhibitions for the Fashion Space Gallery.
- Salazar L, Groves A, Murakami A, Booij J. Fordlandia (2016)
- Salazar L, Stevenson-Keating P, Garbin G, Harry Y. Polyphonic Playground (2014)
- Salazar L. Simon Costin’s Impossible Catwalk Shows (2014)
- Salazar L, Arthur S, Lie R, Filipe J. East London Comics and Arts Festival (2013)
- Salazar L. Yohji Yamamoto (2011)
- Salazar L, Williams D. Fashion Now and Fashion Futures 2030 part of V&A's Fashioned from Nature exhibition
Current research students
- Nichola-Jane Hodgkinson (Stevenson), Nostalgia and the Now: Does anachronism in film costume have validity as part of the dialogue between Film Costume and Fashion? Has it earned its place in the Curation of Fashion History? (Lead supervisor)