Dr Katrine Hjelde
BiographyKatrine Hjelde is an artist, lecturer, curator and researcher. She is Course Leader for Graduate Diploma Fine Art and Senior Lecturer BA Fine Art, Chelsea College of Arts, Fine Art Programme. Her remit as an educator includes supervising PhD Students and she is a UAL Senior Teaching Scholar and Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
As an artist she exhibits in Great Britain and Europe, collaborates with Oslo based b+r architects, where outputs include the permanent Holocaust Exhibition at Villa Grande, Oslo. Further collaborations include FLΔG collective, a group of artists, researchers and art students who explore the relationship between art practices, art education, and pedagogy, looking at forms of knowledge production and dissemination in the art school and beyond. Katrine’s PhD Constructing a Reflective Site: Practice between art and pedagogy in the art school considers the relationship between art practice and teaching through a critical examination of reflection in art, in pedagogy and in philosophy. Post PhD, she was awarded an AHRC Cultural Collaboration Grant which enabled further expansion of the research connecting the art educational institution with other cultural bodies like publicly funded galleries. Ongoing research focuses on the student exhibition, the role of the art school in society and developing critical connections between the art school and society.
- Hjelde K. Theory and practice between art and pedagogy in the art school (2016)
- Bradfield M, Hjelde K. Future resource: Ph.D. student collaboration (2016)
- Hjelde K. Paradox and potential: Fine Art employability and enterprise perspectives (2015)
- Hjelde K. FLΔG Collective: Praxis between the educational turn and the art school (2014)
- Bradfield M, Hjelde K, Maffioletti C. Future (Re)turns and A Dialogue/The Third Space (2012)
Conference, Symposium or Workshop item
- Fortnum R, Hjelde K. Fine Art’s Educational Turn (2009)
Current research students
- Emma Drye, Incidentally: An art of hospitable encounters in the contemporary workplace (Joint supervisor)
- Karl Foster, The Transformative Affect of Encounters with Pedagogical Art Objects – ‘Critically Reflexive Pedagogical Art Praxis’ Understood from the Psychoanalytic Perspective of Wilfred Bion (Lead supervisor)