Gustavo Grandal Montero
BiographyAcademic Support Librarian responsible for research support and special collections curation at Chelsea College of Arts and Camberwell College of Arts. I am also a PhD candidate at Central Saint Martins (provisional title: ‘The “Turn to language”: Concrete poetry and visual art in Britain in the 1960s’).
Trained as an art historian, I write and present regularly on art and librarianship topics, including artists’ books and publishing, Concrete poetry, art ephemera and archives, and information literacy. I have contributed to a range of academic and professional journals (Artist's Book Yearbook, Communications in Information Literacy, Print Quarterly, Blue Notebook, Art Libraries Journal, etc.) and monographs (Handbook of Art and Design Librarianship, Peter Liversidge: Surface mail, Dom Sylvester Houédard, Please come to the show, Notes from the Cosmic Typewriter, etc.)
I convened the conference ‘Concrete Poetry: UK networks and connections’ (Chelsea College of Arts, 2017) and have curated or co-curated several exhibitions, most recently ‘Astro-poems and Vertical Group Exercises: Concrete poetry at CSA’ at Chelsea Space, London (2018).
I am Deputy Editor of the Art Libraries Journal since April 2012 and member of the Art Libraries Society (ARLIS) UK & Ireland’s Council.
Grants and awards
(Figures indicate amount awarded to UAL)
- Paul Mellon Centre for Studies in British Art, Yale University, Research Support Grant
- Mayer H, Brown EV, Grandal Montero G. Art as collaboration: 50 years of Edition Hansjörg Mayer (2013)
- Grandal Montero G, Hirata Tanaka AP, Foden-Lenahan E. Defending the aesthetic: the conservation of an artist’s book (2013)
- Grandal Montero G. Artists’ books in HE teaching and learning (2012)
- Grandal Montero G. Biennalization? What biennalization?: the documentation of biennials and other recurrent exhibitions (2012)
- Grandal Montero G. Video as art: collecting artists’ moving image in academic art libraries (2009)
- Grandal Montero G, Glancy E. Chelsea College of Art & Design Library: Special Collections Guide (2009)
- Grandal Montero G, Glancy E. Chelsea College of Art & Design Library: Special Collections Guide (2008)
- Crilly J, Grandal Montero G, Mahurter S. Inspirational encounters: the management and use of archives and special collections in the art and design library (2017)
- Grandal Montero G. From Cambridge to Brighton: Concrete poetry in Britain, an interview with Stephen Bann (2015)
- Grandal Montero G. Kinkon biobib: life and work of Dom Sylvester Houedard (2012)
Conference, Symposium or Workshop item
- Grandal Montero G. Reference resources: Artists' publications (2017)
- Cobbing W, Cooper R. Make Perhaps This Out Sense of Can You (2015)
- Grandal Montero G. Cataloguing art ephemera and artefacts in libraries (2011)
- Grandal Montero G. Collecting and using artists’ moving image in academic art libraries (2011)