BiographyCally has taught on BA Fashion Communication Fashion History & Theory for over a decade, and has been Stage 1 Leader of the course since 2014. She has also contributed to the CSM MA Fashion Communication pathways and postgraduate courses at LCF, Sotheby’s Institute and the V&A Education department.
Cally is the author of 100 Years of Fashion Illustration, 100 Years of Menswear, and 100 Years of Fashion, and co-author of Portrait of Fashion for the National Portrait Gallery. She has published articles in peer-reviewed journals Costume and Textile History, and contributed chapters to exhibition catalogues for the V&A and Palais Galliera, written for Acne Paper, broadcast on BBC Radio 4, and delivered papers at numerous conferences, as well as lecturing on a wide range of topics in the UK and abroad, including in Moscow for the British Council.
Cally holds qualifications in Fashion Design (CSM), History of Art (Goldsmiths) and an MA in History of Dress (Courtauld Institute), and was Chairman of the Courtauld History of Dress Association (CHODA) 2000-2005, and a Trustee of the Costume Society 2005-2010.
My current research is focused on the representation of dress in early colour photography, specifically in autochromes. By examining surrounding issues of realism and veracity of the colour of clothing through the social and historical contexts of fashion and folk dress, I aim to evaluate the significance of the little-known autochrome process as evidence of authentic colour in the early twentieth century, and to situate the process within the canon of the history of fashion’s visual source material as a meaningful alternative to crude colour printing processes and monochrome photography.
- Blackman C. Fashion Central Saint Martins (2019)
- Ribeiro A, Blackman C. A Portrait of Fashion (2015)
- Saillard O, Blackman C, Rigaux E, Renard I, Gandon E, Frisa ML, Arzalluz M, Pessey-Lux A, Tsujita K, Diatkine A, Arnauld M, Font L, Samson A, Lecallier S. Fashion Mix. Mode d'ici. Createurs d'ailleurs. (2014)
- Blackman C. 100 Years of Fashion (2012)
- Blackman C. 100 Years of Menswear (2009)
- Blackman C. 100 Years of Fashion Illustration (2007)
- Blackman C. The Rise of the Celebrity Shoe Designer (2015)
Conference, Symposium or Workshop item
- Blackman C. The Colour of Clothes: selling French couture around the world at the ‘Salon du Goût Français’ virtual exhibition 1921-3 (2021)
- Blackman C. Vogue 100: Fashion, Women, Society (2016)
- Blackman C. Around the World in Colour: the Salon du Gout Francais 1921-1923 (2015)
- Blackman C. True Colours: dress and fashion in autochromes from Albert Kahn's collection 1914 (2014)