skip to main content

Transfer from another institution

We welcome research degree students who would like to transfer their MPhil or PhD from another institution to UAL.

You can transfer your research degree studies to start at UAL at the beginning of any month throughout the academic year, but please be aware that it may take up to 3 months to process your application.

If you begin at UAL on any date other than 1 October in any academic year, your tuition fees for your first year will be pro-rated; tuition fees will then be charged as normal in subsequent academic years.

Application process

To apply, send your completed, signed and dated Research Degree Transfer Application Form, along with all applicable accompanying documents as email attachments, to

You must include the following documents as attachments to your email:

  • fully completed Research Degree Transfer Application Form;
  • copies of all relevant higher education certificates;
  • a copy of your current passport or identity card;
  • a copy of your current UK visa (if applicable);
  • evidence of your English language proficiency (if applicable).

University of the Arts London cannot guarantee that an application will be considered if it is sent to any other email address. Please ensure that your email, including all attachments, does not exceed 7MB, as we may not receive emails that are larger than this.

You will receive an email confirming receipt of your application within 5 working days of the date that you submit it. If you do not receive this confirmation, please contact the Research Student Team at, or on +44 (0)20 7514 2286. Please do not resend your application.

Further information

  • You can only apply to 1 College. To decide which of UAL’s Colleges you would like to apply to, please review their research specialisms
  • You may also contact the relevant College Academic Research contact to discuss your proposal
  • References - on your application form you must supply the names and contact details of 2 referees who can write a reference in support of your application to transfer your research degree studies to UAL. It is your responsibility to ensure that your referees use the Academic Reference for a Research Degree at UALand that they both submit their references in support of your application to We will not chase references on your behalf.