Apply for a research degree
Applications will be submitted through the UAL online application system. Please note, you may only apply to one research degree - we cannot guarantee applications will be considered if multiple submissions are made.
2019/20 application deadlines
- 31 May 2019 for applications to the Creative Computing Institute (CCI)
- 31 May 2019 for two Funded Opportunities, one with The British Library and UAL (CSM), the other with Tate and UAL (Chelsea College of Arts)
Applications for a research degree starting September 2020 will open October 2019.
Application submitted - what happens next?
Applications are only processed after each deadline has passed and it will take a few weeks for your application to be assessed by the Colleges. For recent applications (15 April deadline) we aim to provide an update to applicants in early May, and to host interviews between 13 May and 31 May. Updates will be provided via the online application system.
Guidance before you apply
Your research proposal
- We highly recommend prospective applicants use the How to Write a Research Proposal (PDF 148KB) document when drafting an application.
Finding a supervisor
You may already know the name of a supervisor you want to work with, or you may not yet have a particular supervisor in mind, either way you are welcome to contact and discuss your proposal with any of our academics – contact details, and their areas of research, can be found on the A-Z of UAL Staff Researchers. If you know which college or institute you wish to apply to, but do not yet have a particular supervisor in mind, then you can contact the college or institute's nominated academic for advice:
- Camberwell, Chelsea and Wimbledon: Dr Athanasios Velios - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Central Saint Martins: James Swinson – email@example.com
- London College of Communication: Russ Bestley - firstname.lastname@example.org
- London College of Fashion: Professor Ian King – email@example.com
- Creative Computing Institute: Professor Mick Grierson - firstname.lastname@example.org
Choosing a College
To decide which of UAL’s colleges to apply to please review the research specialisms of each college. If you have been in contact with research staff and would like to list them in your application as a potential supervisor you should apply to the college they are based at, this includes staff from any research centres or hubs that you wish to be affiliated with; this information can be found on their staff research profile.
Apply online for a PhD or MPhil
Start an application by choosing the College or Institute and research programme you would like to enter.
Applications for a research degree at CCW starting September 2020 will open October 2019.
Applications for a research degree at CSM starting September 2020 will open October 2019.
Applications for a research degree at LCC starting September 2020 will open October 2019.
Applications for a research degree at LCF starting September 2020 will open October 2019.