Visual Arts at LCF
There are multiple crossovers between current fashion design and visual art practice, which operates within an expanded field.
This research hub is broad in its remit, with the aim of supporting and generating connections between researchers engaged with practice, from both the field of fashion design, costume, curation and the visual arts. The hub is a platform for conversations across these disciplines with the intention of encouraging cross disciplinary research and understanding. Central to the hub is reflection upon process, both analogue and digital, to include the hand craft, drawing and digital technologies. These include a focus on the body, dress and material. In addition, it encompasses an engagement with artefact and archives within UAL collections and beyond which form an important resource for many of the researchers involved in this hub.
The hub draws from a wide range of expertise within LCF including creative practitioners, designers and curators. Students, staff and researchers from across the University are welcome to participate.
- Shaza Sabbagh (awarded)
Recent activities and outputs
- MarKings: Illustration and Performance Festival
- What is Critical Fashion Practice? 25 November 2016.
- ‘Working in the Interzone: Fashion as Interdisciplinary Practice’, 11 May 2016.
- ‘The Mick Jones Rock and Roll Public Library in Venice’, 17 February 2016.
- ‘What is Critical Fashion Practice’, 25 November 2015.
- ‘Narrate, Re-animate and Decorate’ (joint symposium with BA Ceramic Design at CSM), 19 October 2015.
- ‘Woman, Picture, Age’, 7 October 2015.
- Mirrors to Windows: The Artist as Woman, 5 June 2015.
- Deryn Rees Jones and Charlotte Hodes; a poetry and image collaboration, ‘And You, Helen’, 29 April 2015.
- Archive as Art... Art as Archive II: James Putnam, 25 February 2015.
- Archive as Art… Art as Archive I: Whitney McVeigh discussed her practice and film research, 21 January 2015.
- Armando Chant: Imaginative Voyaging, 29 October 2014.
Related links and resources
- BA (Hons) Bespoke Tailoring
- BA (Hons) Cordwainers Fashion Bags and Accessories: Product Design and Innovation
- BA (Hons) Fashion Contour
- BA (Hons) Fashion Design and Development
- BA (Hons) Fashion Design Technology: Menswear
- BA (Hons) Fashion Design Technology: Womenswear
- BA (Hons) Fashion Illustration
- BA (Hons) Fashion Jewellery
- BA (Hons) Fashion Pattern Cutting
- BA (Hons) Fashion Sportswear
- BA (Hons) Fashion Textiles: Embroidery
- BA (Hons) Fashion Textiles: Knit