Cultural & Historical Studies Hub
The Cultural and Historical Studies hub, based at London College of Fashion, is a supportive space for the discussion of current research into fashion and popular culture within the broader subject area of Cultural Studies. It will also invite scholars and researchers from outside the university whose work is of interest to hub members – suggestions for visiting speakers are always welcome. The meetings seek to provide opportunities for interested staff from across the college to test out new work and to find collaborative opportunities. The hub is also a space for open discussion and some sessions will include screenings and readings of recent work.
The hub also aims to provide practical support to assist in the development of research for publication. Lastly, we maintain strong links with the college archives, which we hope will inform future research projects emerging from our activities.
Sessions are primarily intended for staff from across the University with research interests in areas relevant to the hub's aims and objectives. Invitations for many events are also extended to postgraduate students.
Staff from across the University who may be interested in presenting work at the hub should email Pamela Church Gibson email@example.com
Related links and resources
- Do we still don our gay apparel? 12 November 2014
- Marx and Fashion, Dr Tony Sullivan, June 2013
- Moroccan Fashion: A collection, exhibition and publication, Dr M. Angela Jansen, October 2013
- ‘Special Issue on Fashion and Class (2014), Film, Fashion & Consumption, 3.
Recent activities and outputs
- ‘Farid Chenoune in Conversation with Pamela Church Gibson’, 29 June 2016
- ‘A talk by Dr Felice McDowell: “Fact, fiction, fashion and life: Writing industry, education, advice and the self”’, 4 November 2015
- ‘A talk by Prof Dominic Janes: “Visual Culture and 'the spectacle of the closet”’, 3 June 2015
- ‘A talk by Dr Shaun Cole: “Do we still don our gay apparel?”’, 12 November 2014
- ‘Fashion and Politics: 2nd Research Hubs Conference (in collaboration with the Fashion Media & Imagery Hub)’, 4 June 2014
- ‘A talk by Zmicier Kachanski: “The Politics of Drag performance in Eastern Europe”’, 22 January 2014
- ‘A talk by Dr M. Angela Jansen: “Moroccan Fashion: A collection, exhibition and publication”’, 30 October 2013
- ‘A talk by Dr Tony Sullivan: “Marx: fashion and capitalism”’, 19 June 2013