Open Design and Manufacturing: OD&M
A Knowledge Alliance between higher education institutions, makers and manufacturers to boost Open Design and Manufacturing in Europe.
Principal Investigator: Dr Matt Malpass
Key staff: Professor Adam Thorpe, Chris Follows, Paul Haywood, Tessa Read
College: Central Saint Martins cross collaboration with Chelsea, Camberwell and Wimbledon, University of the Arts London
Primary Funder: Erasmus+ - Key Action 2 - Knowledge Alliances
Funding Period: 1 January 2017 – 31 December 2019
OD&M's challenge is to embed key approaches, values and principles underpinning the Open Manufacturing paradigm within an Alliance that actively involves higher education institutions (HEIs), manufacturers and makers in the co-creation of knowledge and skills leading to a competitive, sustainable and innovation-led European manufacturing sector.
OD&M aims to empower HEIs to act as pivotal hubs and bridge between ‘traditional manufacturers’ and the knowledge and skills associated to the maker movement.
- Research to identify knowledge and competences of ‘makers’ as well as teaching and learning methods within maker spaces and fab-labs;
- Codify the research outcomes into an European Qualification Framework-based profile and design a training course;
- Design, pilot and assess a structured enabling programme of events and transnational mobilities for staff and students, and empower HEIs’ staff to act as pivotal community builders;
- Model the OD&M value proposition into a structured and long-term Alliance that offers dedicated trainings, events and mobilities for all the actors involved.
- Italy: University of Florence, LAMA Development and Cooperation Agency, Centro Sperimentale del Mobile e dell’Arredamento
- UK: University of the Arts London, Green Lab London
- Spain: University of Deusto, Fundación TECNALIA research & innovation
- China: Tongji University
- Poland: University of Dąbrowa Górnicza, Fundacja Fablab Łódz
- Netherlands: P2P Foundation