Collection and Portfolio (3 credits)
This creative unit explores alternative design methods to produce a striking or extreme item of clothing for the catwalk, and then ways to commercially translate these ideas into a wearable and sellable clothing range.
In various exercises students will learn the potential of what a garment is and explore how clothes can enforce an individual psyche, express a personality and take on a narrative quality.
The course combines an experimental and innovative attitude towards design, whilst also exploring traditional essentials.
The course will cover:
- Basic garment drawing
- Creative garment representation
- Using collage as a medium for design
- Sketching / speed designing
- Rendering techniques
- Technical drawing for garments
- How to put together concept, colour and materials boards
- Consumer / market research
- How to design a collection
- Range building
- Working with inspiration, design conceptualization, through design development
Please note that this is a garment design course, not a garment-making course.