Summer: JournalismJoin our mailing list
Pursue your career in content writing and journalism
This course is intended to develop your skills as a journalist, providing a rewarding insight into how to apply these core abilities to create accurate and compelling content across media platforms.
Taught by: Ben Gilbert
Summer: Journalism is taught through a series of lecture and workshop settings, students will study writing in a range of genres including news, features, reviews and comment pieces. Working closely with social media and online blogging tools, you will explore the modern digital landscape, applying this knowledge and practical skills to a personal, bespoke web project. This course is ideal for students who are thinking about a career in content creation or journalism or are heading for further study in this area.
This summer school is based on classes from BA Journalism programme at London College of Communication. If you need and supporting documentation to convert this into credit for your home university we can provide that for you.
Learn more about Summer: Journalism
- Provide an understanding of multimedia journalism and relevant web platforms
- Develop your ideas through observation and research
- Develop research, writing and publishing skills appropriate to your digital project
- Plan and produce a themed blog and contribute to a social media presence
- Present your journalism development and outcomes
You will leave the course with an ability to:
- Research ideas that can be developed into multimedia online features
- Locate and evaluate information from a range of written and/or visual sources
- Communicate ideas and arguments in an academic form
- Work with a range of technical equipment and publishing software to produce multi-platform content
Requirements for Assessment
- Creation of a range of content types
- Contribution to online media presence
- Presentation of ideas and concept development
Follow On Courses
Ben Gilbert is an NCTJ-trained journalist with more than 15 years’ experience at the frontline of web media at leading digital platforms such as Yahoo and Microsoft. Most recently, he was editorial director at the disruptive startup MOVE Guides. A former music journalist, Ben has developed digital content strategy and created dynamic content as a writer, editor and producer. He is an Associate Lecturer at London College of Communication and Westminster University, holding an MA in Media, Culture & Communication from the Institute of Education.
Course Handbook: Download an example course handbook for Summer Journalism 2018 handbook (300KB).
Please note that each year the content, dates and tutors vary slightly.
Summer Study Abroad Entry Requirements:
Academic - You should have some prior study in design and drawing skills, but do not need to have studied Games Design before. If you have questions about your academic background, please make an enquiry to the UAL Study Abroad team.
English - You should be proficient in written and spoken English and be able to participate in group discussions and make presentations. As a guideline we would expect you to have an IELTS score of 6.0. The Language Centre at University of the Arts London offers English courses for overseas students.
On completion of this course you will recive a short course certificate of attendance.
If you need any additional supporting documentation to convert this into credit for your home university we can provide that for you. This summer school is based on classes from BA Journalism and will be taught by current members of teaching staff from the renowned journalism programme at London College of Communication.