Why choose Animation?
During this intensive three-week course you will:
- experience a taster of the undergraduate Animation programme here at London College of Communication.
- learn from tutors who are practicing artists, designers and communicators; benefit from access to specialist facilities at one of UAL’s six Colleges.
- meet like-minded individuals from around the world!
- get involved in UAL life through social events and activities.
- All courses are assessed and you'll receive a record of study at the end of the programme if you wish to request credit from your home institution.
- At the end of the course you will present your work at an exhibition alongside photography, graphics and film students.
You should be proficient in written and spoken English and be able to participate in group discussions and make presentations. As a guideline we would expect you to have an English language level equivalent to IELTS score of 6.0.
More information on English language requirements and equivalencies.
You should have some prior study in design and drawing skills, Adobe Photoshop or Illustrator skills is essential but do not need to have studied animation before.
This course is perfect for you if you are thinking of further study or professional development in animation. If you have questions about your academic background, please contact the UAL Study Abroad team.
- Develop your ideas through observation, research and sketching
- Develop storyboarding, animatics 2D skills appropriate to your project
- Plan and create a short animated sequence
- Present and discuss your project
- An ability to research ideas that can be developed into animated designs (Research, Subject Knowledge)
- An ability to communicate ideas and concepts through storyboards and 2D animation (Communication and Presentation)
- A knowledge of storyboarding, animatics 2D animation software (Technical competence)
Requirements for Assessment
- Sketchbook and drawings
- Presentation of ideas
- Project storyboards
- Short animated sequence
The software used on this course will be Adobe CC After Effects, Photoshop, and Illustrator.
Follow On Courses
Once you have taken this course you may be interested in BA Animation or MA Animation.
On completion of this course you will receive a Record of Study.
If you need any additional supporting documentation to convert this into credit for your home university we can provide that for you. This summer school is based on classes from BA Graphic Design courses at London College of Communication.
Francesco de Manincor
Francesco de Manincor is a character and motion designer with a broad experience in visual storytelling, from storyboarding to animation. After studying Fine Arts, Art Direction and working in comics, illustration and visual communication in Italy, Francesco moved to London and for the past 20 years has worked on commercial projects as well as teaching animation, motion graphics and storyboarding.
Francesco likes to start exploring ideas by drawing on paper, to then complete production and post-production using digital tools, for the unbounded possibilities that these offer. He believes that it's all about realising our vision, visualising stories to entertain and engage the viewer, and create that little bit of magic.
Dates and fees
This course is not running for summer 2022.
Please bring the following materials with you:
- Drawing tools (pencils, pencil sharpener, eraser, ruler)
- Sketchbook, A4 or A3 size
- USB memory stick, external hard disk or cloud-based storage space (e.g. Dropbox, Google Drive) to save your finished projects and working files
Please note: in the course we will use College computers with Adobe CC Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects, Animate CC, and graphic tablets and pens (e.g. Wacom Intuos, Intuos Pro, Cintiq or similar); if you bring your own laptop or tablet please make sure you have Adobe CC installed.
Summer Study Abroad Scholarship
We offer a Summer Study Abroad Scholarship for all of our 3 week Summer Study Abroad courses.
Find out how to apply
To be eligible, you must be 18 years or older, hold an offer to join one of our 3 week Summer Study Abroad courses, and be enrolled on an undergraduate degree programme outside the UK.
- The scholarships cover the tuition-fee only and depend on you successfully enrolling for the course. Our cancellation policy still applies.
- Scholarship winners will be asked to take part in promotional activities to promote Summer Study Abroad and the scholarship scheme.
Course Handbook: Download an example Handbook - Animation Summer Study Abroad (PDF - 356KB).
Each year the content, dates and tutors vary slightly.