Yaiza María Hernández Velázquez
Lecturer, MRes Art; Pathway Leader, MRes Art: Exhibition Studies; Member of Afterall Research Centre
Central Saint Martins
I hold a BA (Hons) in Fine Art from Northumbria University, an MA in Visual Culture from Middlesex University and a PhD in Philosophy from the Centre for Research in Modern European Philosophy at Kingston University. Before joining Central Saint Martins in 2013, I worked for over a decade in contemporary art institutions. Among other things, I was Head of Public Programmes at the Museu d’Art Contemporani de Barcelona– MACBA, director of CENDEAC (Murcia) and curator at CAAM (Las Palmas de Gran Canaria).
Critical Theory, Postcolonial and Decolonial Studies, Radical Museology, Exhibition Studies, New Institutionalism, Socially Engaged Practices, Art and Activism, Archives, Tourism and Cultural Policy.
My research centres on art institutions in a broad sense as sites of philosophical and political import and on the way in which “theory” (in its post-68 inflection) has both informed and curtailed those political efforts. I am particularly interested in artistic and para-artistic institutional models that understand themselves (even if no one else does) as prefiguring, supporting or representing radical social change, as tied that is to a search for autonomy. For these I have found productive resources in institutional models for which art is not an organising discourse, from self-organised activist spaces to community museums tied to Latin American “museologies of liberation”.
I welcome research applicants seeking to work on any of the above topics.
- Archiving to Oblivion - Hernández Velázquez, Yaiza María (2015) Archiving to Oblivion. In: A Story Within A Story... the 8th Goteborg International Biennial For Contemporary Art. Art And Theory Publishing, Gothenburg. ISBN 9789188031198
- Third-Way Aesthetics - Hernandez Velazquez, Yaiza M. (2013) Third-Way Aesthetics. Radical Philosophy (180). pp. 53-55.
- One of the Two is Always Lacking. Notes on Artwriting - Hernández Velázquez, Yaiza María (2013) One of the Two is Always Lacking. Notes on Artwriting. In: Art Writing Under the Sign of Conceptualism, 7th June 2013, Tate Britain.
- Museos de Sol y Playa - Hernández Velázquez, Yaiza María (2004) Museos de Sol y Playa. In: Paisajes del Placer, Paisajes de la Crisis. El espacio turístico canario y sus representaciones. Fundación César Manrique, Madrid, pp. 137-155. ISBN 8488550545
- Why Exhibition Studies? - Hernández Velázquez, Yaiza María (0004) Why Exhibition Studies? In: Why Exhibition Studies?, AKADEMIROMMET, Oslo.