skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

What type of short courses are there?

We run a variety of short courses across a range of subject areas, including fashion, design, art and performance. For up-to-date details of upcoming courses with places left to book visit our Available courses starting soon page.

Where is Central Saint Martins?

Our short courses take place in three venues in and around central London: 45 - 65 Peckham Road, SE5 8UF; Elthorne Road, N19 4AG and King's Cross, N1C 4AA. Locations and Maps.

How good do I have to be to do a short course at Central Saint Martins?

There are courses at all different levels so if you have no experience and want to try something for the first time choose an Introduction or Beginners course. If you already have some experience then there are courses to help you develop your skills further. If a level is not specified then beginners and more experienced people are accepted onto the course and the tutors will tailor their teaching to the needs of the group and give individual attention when required.

At Central Saint Martins we have a range of courses for students of all levels. Our development courses allow you to select your own creative journey, either to work towards further study or to support your personal of professional progress.

When there are multiple dates listed for a course, do I have to take the first session before I can take the second session?

Unless otherwise stated in the course description you can take any session of a course on its own, and all sessions will be a repeat of the same course.

Who teaches on the short courses?

The tutors for the short courses range from those teaching on the full time degree courses at Central Saint Martins to graduates and professionals who have gone on to develop their expertise outside the college and within industry. All our tutors are experienced in teaching a wide range of people and understand the practical needs of business. For further information each course description includes a brief biography of the tutor.

Are there any discounts or concessions available on the course fees?

The cost of taking part in a short course is the same for everyone, whether you are a student, working, unemployed, retired or from overseas.

University of the Arts alumni (undergraduate & postgraduate) are entitled to a 10% discount on short courses at CSM. Receiving this discount is simple, just pick a course, call the short course office to book and quote your alumni ID number. If you need to register for an alumni ID number, please email for more details.

We occasionally offer discount codes for short courses. If you would like to receive promotional emails, you should register for our mailing list. Please note that the discount code does not apply to all of our short courses. Courses excluded from these offers are: Orientation, Full Time Portfolio Preparation and Study Abroad courses. Discount codes must be used at the time of booking and cannot be applied retroactively. Only one discount can be used per booking and discounts cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer.

Can I reserve a space on a course without paying?

No. There are only a few places on each course, so we can only book a place for you once you have paid the course fee in full or we have received a purchase order from your company.

When do I need to book a short course?

Short courses at Central Saint Martins are very popular and many courses fill up several weeks before they start, so to be sure of a place book as soon as you can. We would recommend booking at least four weeks before the start of a course.

Are materials provided?

You are required to bring your own materials to the course. A materials list can be found on the course page and will be included with your confirmation receipt. As a guide, you will need to provide your own notebooks or sketchbooks, writing or drawing kit, paints and paper. Photography classes will require you to provide your own camera and film. You may also be required to do your own research into materials and inspiration before starting your course.

Where can I buy art materials?

Materials can usually be purchased in our specialist art shop located in our main college site at King's Cross. The shop has limited opening hours during the holidays, so please contact the shop directly for further information. We also recommend the London Graphics Centre and CASSART which have various branches around London.

How many people are on each short course?

We try to keep classes small. The majority of our courses usually has between 7 and 20 students so that every student gets as much individual attention from the tutor as they need depending on the subject matter and complexity of the course. For our larger courses, the maximum can be up to 32 students, but we will always make sure there is an appropriate student to tutor ratio.

How old do I have to be to come on a short course?

Anyone over 18 years old can come on our courses. There is no upper age limit - we have students of all ages. If you are too young for our main courses, we also offer courses specifically for 13 to 15 year olds and 16 to 18 year olds during the academic year and holidays. These are listed on our website with the age range in the course title or in the Courses for teenagers section. Please note that students must be the minimum age specified for the course on the first day of class.

Can I be helped finding accommodation for a short course?

To make your stay in London more convenient and economical we recommend a number of accommodation providers.  Please view the Accommodation Page for the more information.

Are there facilities for people with disabilities?

Central Saint Martins is committed to an equal opportunities policy that supports people with disabilities. We try to offer the facilities and assistance necessary to enable students with disabilities or medical conditions requiring specialist help to realise the aims and objectives of our courses. Please contact us to discuss any special arrangements or equipment, which can be provided. You can find out more by looking at the Student Services section of the website.

Can I have a Short Course brochure sent to me?

We no longer send out a printed brochure for our courses, you can find full listings for session dates, details and availability through our website. To search courses by date, please check the Available Courses Starting Soon section of the website.

How do I book a short course?

The easiest way is normally to book online. Simply find the course(s) you require and click the add to basket icon. When all the courses you would like to take have been marked, click to complete your order. You will be taken to an online booking form on a secure server. Complete the registration and booking process to make the booking. Please ensure that you are using the most up to date version of your internet browser. If you need assistance with this, you can look for guidance on How To Update Your Web Browser.

Can I get a qualification or US credit by doing a Short Course?

The short courses do not offer credits for a current course or a recognised qualification - although you will receive a certificate of attendance. We do offer a Degree Study Abroad programme for overseas students who wish to study for a term, 2 terms or a year alongside our degree course students and gain college credits. For more information please visit our Study Abroad page.

Can I get a qualification or US credit by taking part in Summer School?

Central Saint Martins offers 3-week Summer Study Abroad courses providing students with an assessment grade. A record of the grade and class hours is sent to your home institution upon request. If you require credit then you must check with your university or college first to see if they will give credits for Central Saint Martins Summer Study Abroad courses.

I haven't had my receipt yet - what can I do?

If you booked online you should get a receipt sent to your email address within 10 minutes. If you gave us a hotmail or gmail address please check you junk/spam mail folders. For phone and postal bookings email receipts are issued within 24 hours of receipt of your booking. If you have not received a receipt to your email address please contact the Short Course office on +44 (0)20 7514 7015. If you book less than 3 weeks before the start of the course please contact the Short Course office to confirm the booking.

Where will my course take place?

When you view your course page on the website, the location, times and dates will be shown beneath the description. If you click on the site name a map, full address and nearest tube will be shown. Please report to the building's reception 15 minutes before your first session and you will be guided to your room.

What do I do on the first day?

On the first day of the course please report to the main reception of the building where your course is to be held. You should bring with you any materials that the tutor may have requested and your receipt. If you have not yet received your receipt please call the Short Course office on +44 (0)20 7514 7015 to confirm your booking.

What happens if I miss a session?

If you miss a session it will not be possible for you to make up the time during a different session or receive a refund.

Can I get a certificate of attendance?

Certificates are distributed by tutors on completion of your course. If you require a duplicate certificate please contact the Short Course Office giving your name, current post address, course title, and dates of course. New T&Cs charge £25 for additional certificates. Please note that this does not represent a formal qualification from Central Saint Martins.

Do short course students have access to facilities outside course times?

All short course students have access to the college libraries for research purposes. Unfortunately you are not able to take books or videos out on loan. Students are not able to use the studio facilities, including computers, outside of class times. The college is a fully working college and equipment is in constant use by the full-time degree students.

I would like to study full time at Central Saint Martins, what should I do?

You can view our list of foundation, degree and post graduate courses online. For further information about full time study request a prospectus.

What other courses can I try?

With over 750 different courses if you finish one course at Central Saint Martins there is always another one to try.

What do I do if I don't have a portfolio or need to improve my portfolio?

We offer full-time portfolio courses of at least 15 hours per week to help students prepare for entry to Foundation, BA (Honours) or PGDip/ MA courses. Look at the Full-Time Portfolio Preparation Courses page for more information.

Where can I receive immigration advice?

Please review our Immigration Guidance for Short Courses information page for the most up to date information.

What if I want to study abroad?

View the Study Abroad page for more information.

Can I get reading lists or further course information before arriving in London?

It is only once you start your course that you will be given your study timetable and information. You will not receive detailed course information or be expected to choose classes, prior to arriving in London.

I would like to organise specialist training for some of our staff, do you run training courses for companies?

We can design and deliver a training course to meet the needs of an individual member of staff or a group in any of the many areas of art and design that we cover at Central Saint Martins. Perhaps you need software training, a boost of creativity or some technical skills in a design area. We can help with all of these. Please contact Andy Colley, Business Development Coordinator, Central Saint Martins, Granary Building, 1 Granary Square, King's Cross, London N1C 4AA, +44 (0)20 7514 8441 or email:

How do I apply for a Foundation, undergraduate or postgraduate course?

Foundation Diploma and Postgraduate courses: If you are a Home or EU applicant for Foundation Diploma, or postgraduate courses you can apply direct to Central Saint Martins on the relevant course specific application form, which can be downloaded from this website.

Undergraduate courses Home and EU applications to Foundation Degree (FdA) and BA (Honours) degree courses at Central Saint Martins should be made through the Universities and Colleges Admission Service (UCAS). Please contact UCAS for an application form.

For International applications please visit the international section of this website.

Are there any scholarships for students?

Central Saint Martins does not currently offer any scholarships to short course students.

Where can I find more information about funding?

There are a number of publications and sources of information on obtaining funding for your course. For details of these, please visit the University of the Arts website: If you are from the UK you may be entitled to help with fees or be able to take out a loan to help meet living costs, with repayments linked to your income after leaving higher education. If you are from England or Wales you should contact your Local Education Authority to apply for financial help. For details visit the Department for Education website or call 0800 7319133. If you are from Scotland contact the Student Awards Agency for Scotland website or call 0131 476 8212. If you are from Northern Ireland contact your Local Education and Libraries Board.

If you are an international student, your local British Council office should be able to provide you with information about possible sources of financial aid or bursaries for which you may be eligible. The British Council Information Centre in the UK can be contacted at: Tel: +44 (0) 161 957 7755 Fax: +44 (0) 161 957 7188 or email:

If you are a US national you may be able to apply for US Federal Loans to support your degree or Study Abroad course at Central Saint Martins. See the Federal Student Aid website for more information.

When can I look around the college?

We offer many opportunities to look around the College. Two exhibitions of student work are open annually to visitors: 'Direction' from January to March, and the final year Degree Shows in June. Please see the home page of this website nearer the time for precise dates and times of the Degree Shows. Also, all Foundation, undergraduate and postgraduate degree courses offer a series of course tours for potential applicants, with some courses allowing visits by appointment. The precise arrangements differ for each course. You can find out the times, dates and venues of these course tours by contacting the Information Office, telephone number +44 (0) 20 7514 7022 or 7023 or by looking at the relevant course listing on this website.

I'd like to speak to someone in person - how could I get in touch with you?

For Foundation, Undergraduate and Postgraduate course enquiries, please call the Information Office +44 (0) 207 514 7022 or email

For Short Course enquiries please call +44 (0) 207 514 7015, fax +44 (0) 207 514 7016 or email

For international student enquiries (non-EU), please contact the International Office +44 (0) 207 514 7027 or email

For Study Abroad please email or call +44 (0) 207 514 7285

What level of English do I need to apply?

All classes are taught in English. Applicants whose first language is not English should note that they are required to be proficient in written and spoken English and be able to participate in group discussions and presentations in English. As a guideline we would expect you to have an IELTS score of 4.5 for practical courses and 6.0 for lecture courses. The University of the Arts London also offers English courses for overseas students (please call the Language Centre +44 (0) 20 7514 7261 for more information).

As a short course student will I be allowed access to the building?

On the first day of your course you will be issued with a security pass. You must show this every time you enter the building and whenever requested by a member of staff. If you lose your pass you must request a replacement from the Short Course Office before your next class. A replacement card costs £5. You can use the pass to gain access to the buildings if you wish to use the library or college shops outside of your class times.

Is there a smoking policy?

Central Saint Martins does not allow smoking on any of its college premises.

Is there a policy on the use of mobile (cell) phones?

Mobile phones must be switched off throughout seminars, classes and workshops. Please use your phone outside the classroom should you need to make a call.

What can I do about property I lost, or had stolen, whilst in college?

Personal property must be kept with you at all times. The college cannot accept any responsibility for work, equipment, materials or personal possessions left in the college. The college has no liability for lost or stolen items.

Can you store work after my course has ended?

Due to a shortage of space we cannot store any work once the course has finished.

What should I do in event of a fire?

In the event of a fire alarm sounding please leave by the exit that your tutor will have described on the first day. You must not re-enter the building until authorised to do so by a member of staff. If the building should require evacuation without the sound of an alarm you must follow instructions given by staff or the emergency service.‌‌‌