MAKE @ Story Garden
A public space for creative collaboration and social innovation
Come say hello and together we will make a better future in Camden
MAKE @ Story Garden is a public space for creative collaboration with, and by, the local community. Based behind the British Library in Somers Town, it brings together the diverse skills and perspectives of those who live and work in Camden to address local issues and social challenges. MAKE uses the methods of the art school to create a space in which communities from higher education, the public, third sector and businesses can collaborate.
The Story Garden is Global Generation’s newest meanwhile garden; it is built for and by the local community and is a partnership between Global Generation, the British Library, Stanhope and Mitsui Fudosan. The garden is a nature hub bringing people together over food growing, communal meals, shared stories and a range of activities.
MAKE @ Story Garden is developed and delivered by Central Saint Martins and Somers Town Community Association, in partnership with Camden Council and Lendlease.
MAKE embraces the skills and talents of those who live and work in Somers Town and the wider Camden area. It will offer:
- hands-on creative workshops and participatory arts
- drop-in sessions on making
- talks and interactive sessions with makers and artists working with local communities
- STEAM workshops, working with local schools in the area to explore arts and technology
- challenge-based projects bringing local citizens and stakeholders together to co-design and collaborate in tackling a range of local issues
The space will offer a flexible studio, storage and equipment and an outside space where groups can work. Facilities include:
- studio space for 15-20 people with an adjoining deck and a smaller technical workshop
- a mix of both permanent and temporary equipment including hand tools, digital fabrication equipment, knitting and sewing machines as well as 3D printers and Arduino electronics
- There will also space for outdoor making and a kiln for ceramics
The Story Garden is open between Tuesday – Saturday between 10am – 4pm.
MAKE @ Story Garden is in pilot phase from July – September 2019. Its workshop-based programme will launch in October 2019. There will also be programmed slots for more informal DIY-making and evening sessions.
Email us on: email@example.com if you would like to find more or get involved with MAKE.