Foundation Plus is an intensive 13-week course that is offered as a condition of a BA degree offer. It runs during the summer prior to the start of the undergraduate term in September. If you successfully complete the course you will gain entry to a BA at either Camberwell, Chelsea or Wimbledon College of Arts. The course will give you an accredited UAL Awarding Body (UALAB) Level 3 Foundation Diploma.
The course is designed to prepare you for progression to an undergraduate course.
Fast paced projects, specialist teaching, contextual studies and access to our workshops will help you build on your existing skills. During the course, you will gain confidence and get used to the pace of learning. You will start to understand the academic level required at UAL.
- You will get supportive teaching in small groups
- Staff are specialist Foundation tutors who have experience in helping students progress on to undergraduate courses
- You will gain an understanding in the processes and systems of study at UAL. These include our libraries, workshops, student support services and online learning environment
Part 1: Diagnostic Investigation into Creative Practice
- This part of the course is assessed during the BA application process
- It is based on your portfolio and interview
- We are looking for creative exploration and experimentation
Parts 2 and 3 are taught and assessed during the 13-week course.
Part 2: Developing Specialist Practice
In part 2 of the course, through a range of activities, you will start to think about your own creative ambition. You will consider your own work in relation to your chosen specialist pathway.
Part 3: Consolidating Practice
This part of the course gives you the opportunity to take control of your own learning. You will come up with an idea for a project proposal. You will research, write and evaluate your proposal. From this you will produce a body of work for your final assessment.
Specialist pathway information:
You will develop your personal creative approach and explore ways of expression in a fine art context. The pathway includes the use of drawing, painting, photography, 3D and digital processes to experiment and create a portfolio of creative work. You will engage with concepts and explore your ideas.
This pathway prepares you to progress to one of our Art degree courses:
- BA Fine Art
- BA Fine Art: Computational Arts
- BA Fine Art: Drawing
- BA Fine Art: Painting
- BA Fine Art: Photography
- BA Fine Art: Sculpture
The ethos of the communication specialism is to develop your ability to communicate messages through image and text. Using visual communication methods, you will respond to project briefs and personal themes to create 2D, 3D and moving imagery. You will experiment through mark making, printmaking, drawing and digital manipulation.
This pathway prepares you to progress to one of our Communication degree courses:
- BA Graphic Design
- BA Graphic Design Communication
- BA Illustration
In the Design pathway, you will work in response to set project briefs and personal ideas to engage with materials in a physical and spatial context. You will experiment with materials and processes to create environments and objects. The notion of performance, audience and human interaction is explored through this pathway.
This pathway prepares you to progress to one of our Design degree courses:
- BA Creative Technical Theatre
- BA Costume for Theatre and Screen
- BA Contemporary Theatre and Performance
- BA Interior Design
- BA Interior and Spatial Design
- BA Product and Furniture Design
- BA Production Arts for Screen
- BA Technical Arts for Theatre and Performance
- BA Textile Design
- BA Theatre Design
Course dates, fees and location
- Dates: 14 June - 17 September 2021
- Fees: £10,870 (2021)
- Location: Camberwell College of Arts, Peckham Road, London, SE5 8UF
If, due to the pandemic, or for any other reason, the delivery of the course cannot take place at Camberwell College of Arts, offer holders will be notified.
- Foundation Plus Part 1 - which is assessed during the BA application process and based on your portfolio and interview
We understand that you may not hold the final High School certificate or A-Level grades that you need for your undergraduate course before enrolment on Foundation Plus in June.
For Foundation Plus entry we will look at predicted grades and previous qualifications. To enrol on a BA course in September you will need the required academic qualifications.
Progression to UAL undergraduate course
If you successfully complete the Foundation Plus you can progress straight to undergraduate study.
We issue your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) when:
- You have accepted your unconditional offer of a place at your UAL College
- Met the conditions of your offer
- Paid your deposit
After a short break, you will be able to enrol on your undergraduate course.