We are working together to make UAL an anti-racist university. After consulting staff and students, we have developed a comprehensive anti-racism action plan. This sets clear objectives and expectations for us to tackle racial inequality at UAL.
Some of our plans are new, such as our pledge that 30% of our staff will be Black, Asian and minority ethnic by 2024, but we are not starting from scratch. Many of us have long been working on social and racial justice, and will continue to do so.
Together with staff and students we have drawn up an anti-racism action plan with 10 key objectives. Including clear actions, responsibilities for delivery, timeframes, success criteria and expected outcomes.
Delivering our plan will change our systems and processes - and also our culture. We will make sure we have the right resources to make effective, sustainable progress.
- Visible accountability and allyship on race equality
- Improve reporting, monitoring and resolution process
- Align anti-racism action plan with UAL EDI strategies
- Anti-racism education across the University
- Create clear statistics and KPIs
- Increase the proportion of Black, Asian and minority ethnic staff
- Increase the proportion of Black, Asian and minority ethnic students
- Extend numbers of Black, Asian and minority ethnic Visiting Lecturers
- Decolonising the curriculum
- Eliminating the continuation and degree awarding gap
Race Equality Charter (REC)
UAL is currently working towards Advance HE’s Race Equality Charter (REC). REC provides a framework through which higher education institutions work to identify and self-reflect on institutional and cultural barriers standing in the way of Black, Asian and minority ethnic staff and students. UAL’s REC Core Self-Assessment Team is led by Professor Carol Tulloch and Naina Patel (Race Champion).
For further information contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Race Champions Forum (RCF)
The Race Champions Forum was established in November 2016 and is made up of around 40 members of staff and student representatives from across UAL committed to progressing race equality within the university. The forum meets termly to share good practice and report on progress towards UAL's bid for the Race Equality Charter. The forum is chaired by Naina Patel, Director of HR and UAL Race Champion.
If you want to get involved in the work of the RCF, contact Isabella Chan, Head of EDI: email@example.com
Group for the Equality of Minority Staff (GEMS)
GEMS was set up to promote the personal development and create a network of Black, Asian and minority ethnic staff.
For more information contact: firstname.lastname@example.org