Supervising Research Degrees (elective unit)
In this unit you will explore the experience of supervising students in both research and practice-based MPhil or PhD degrees in arts disciplines and develop your supervisory practice through reflection on both the theory and practice of supervision.
Before this unit you must have secured a position within a research supervision team and have experience of supervising research students.
During this unit you will:
- Attend a series of seminars and tutorials
- Review theoretical scholarship on supervision to inform your practice
- Evaluate the duties and responsibilities of institutions, supervisors and supervisory teams
- Consider the formal stages of research degrees
- Submit an annotated bibliography of texts relating to postgraduate supervision (1,500 words) and thematic case studies drawn from supervision experience with professional development action plan (3,000 words).
For more information, download the Supervising Research Degrees Unit Descriptor (PDF 129KB).
If you are not currently supervising research students please read the following Pathway to Supervising Research Degrees (Word 17KB).