The dissertation (which is mandatory on the MA Academic Practice) is a sustained piece of independent research that enables you to explore an academic practice interest through text or a combination of text and art or design practice, with ongoing support from peers, tutors and a personal supervisor.
Before the unit you must successfully complete the Pg Cert and Diploma stages of the course.
During the unit you will:
- Attend a series of seminars to support your progress
- Develop and implement a research proposal
- Address ethical issues raised by your research design and approach
- Work with a personal supervisor and submit drafts for formative feedback
- Produce a written dissertation following the conventions of a selected research approach (15,000 words) or a body of practice-based work in a negotiated form of presentation together with a written commentary (7,500 words).
For more information download the Dissertation Unit Descriptor (PDF 117KB).