Health Advice

Illustration of person looking into a mirror, by Marja de Sanctis, 2015
Illustration (Mirror) by Marja de Sanctis, 2015 (MA Illustration, Camberwell College of Arts 2014)

The Health Advice Service provides advice and information to students at University of the Arts London on registering with a doctor (GP) in the UK and about any other aspect of health and well-being.

Advice is available for students who have questions or concerns about:

  • lifestyle (including alcohol, drugs and smoking)
  • healthy eating
  • physical wellbeing
  • infectious diseases
  • sexual health
  • mental health.

Students usually meet with a health adviser at a one to one appointment at their College, or at the Student Centre at High Holborn but advice can also be offered by telephone or by email, if it is difficult to attend an appointment.

If you have applied for a course at UAL and would like to speak to a health adviser before it starts, please email This could be about a pre-existing medical condition, access to specific medication in the UK, if you will be coming from abroad, understanding how the National Health Service (NHS) works, or anything else.

Meeting a health adviser

The mental health advisers are part of the Health Advice team and can provide advice, information and support regarding mental health and well-being.

At an appointment, the student will discuss their concerns with the health adviser, who will ask if the student has had any treatment in the past, and if it was helpful. They may also ask the student about their lifestyle and living arrangements. After a discussion, they will advise the student about the next practical steps.

Students may also agree for the adviser to act as the link between the University and health services in the NHS to help them to obtain treatment, if needed. This may include making recommendations about other sources of support in the community and from voluntary organisations.

With the student’s permission, the adviser can liaise with tutors and other staff at the University, to coordinate support between the different services involved in a student’s care.

Further appointments can be made if it is appropriate, and if it would be beneficial for the student to see someone else from the Counselling, Health Advice and Chaplaincy Service, this can also be arranged.

Appointments and enquiries

To request health advice, whether physical or mental health related, or to book an appointment students should complete the Counselling and Health Advice Request Form.

If they know the type of health advice they require they can indicate this, and provide any other relevant information. The student will then be contacted by email or phone with advice in response to the enquiry, or to set up an appointment.

Telephone enquiries or emails to are also welcome.

Urgent appointments

Urgent appointments lasting 30 minutes are available during office hours for enrolled students who need to talk to someone quickly when there is a crisis or a matter that needs urgent attention.

To book an urgent appointment, please call 020 7514 6251.

Registering with a doctor (GP/General Practitioner)

It is very important for students to register with a GP in London at the beginning of their studies, even if they are already registered elsewhere in the UK. For those with pre-existing health conditions early registration is especially important.

Prompt registration will avoid delays in accessing health care when it is needed the most. Free NHS treatment is accessible to all UK and EU students, and those International students on a full-time course lasting more than six months. Prescriptions and dental treatment may need to be paid for.

The NHS Choices website has a facility to search for GP services. Students can also contact the Health Advisers by email at for more information about registering with a GP in London.

Urgent medical attention

Urgent appointments can be booked at your Doctor’s surgery during office hours. You can also visit an NHS Walk-in Centre or in an emergency, an Accident and Emergency department at a hospital.

Specific health issues

This section includes information about some specific health issues for students: measles and mumps, meningitis booster vaccinations, and ebola.

Seasonal Influenza ('flu')

Flu is a viral illness, cases of which become more common during the winter months. Further information, including advice on how to protect yourself against and how to treat flu, is available on a factsheet produced by Public Health England:

Seasonal influenza factsheet

Measles and mumps

There has been a substantial increase in the numbers of people getting measles and mumps. Students who were not given two doses of the MMR (measles, mumps and rubella) vaccination when they were younger are advised to contact their doctor’s practice.

Meningitis booster vaccinations

Young people born after September 1995 who received the Meningitis C vaccination as a small child will need to get the MenC Booster.

Further information is available on a leaflet for students produced by the NHS:

NHS leaflet about Meningitis C for university students.

This will reveal more about: Specific health issues Show less

This will show less about: Specific health issues Show more