Loans For Part-Time Undergraduates

The UK Government offers financial support to part-time students in the form of a tuition fee loan. This information applies to Home and EU fee status students starting a new course in September 2016.

You can apply for student finance through Student Finance England. If you or your family are from the EU or EEA, you need to apply for student finance from Student Finance England (EU Team)

If you are from ScotlandWales or Northern Ireland please visit the website specific to where you live, as you will need to apply to the relevant funding body.

Support from Student Finance England 

Part-time Tuition Fee Loan

Eligible Home and EU students can apply for a tuition fee loan of up to £6,750 per year from Student Finance England. The amount you receive is based on your course intensity and how much the University charges. It is not means-tested and there is no upper age limit. This money is paid directly to the University after you enrol. 


As a Home or EU student you must meet the residency requirements and study a valid course in order to apply. Valid courses include our BA, FdA and Integrated Masters courses. Note that students on our Graduate Diploma courses are not eligible to apply.

If you have already studied a Higher Education course, your funding entitlement may be affected. Please read our information on previous study or contact the Student Advice Service for further information.

Making your application

To apply as a Home student, first register for an online account with Student Finance England. You will be emailed a customer reference number and can then begin your online application. If you prefer, you can download a PTL1 paper application form from the Student Finance forms webpage. It will usually take up to 6 weeks for your application to be processed.

If you are beginning a new undergraduate course in autumn 2016 as an EU student, you will need to complete a EUPTL1 paper application form which you can download from the Student Finance forms webpage.

Extra funding from Student Finance England

The Disability Service can assist with applications to the Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA) if you have a health condition, disability or learning difficulties such as Dyslexia.

Repayments and Interest Rates

Interest will be charged to your loans from the time you start studying, and you will make monthly repayments on your loans until the earlier of either paying your loans and interest in full, or 30 years from the start of your repayment period. Although your repayment period will start in the April after you complete or leave your course, you will only repay your loans when you earn over £21,000. See the UK Government website for full details.

Extra funding from the University

Access to Learning Fund

After enrolment, Home students may be able to apply for some additional funding through the Access to Learning Fund