Advanced Learner Loan
Students who are aged 19 or over may be eligible for an Advanced Learner Loan to pay for their tuition fees for the Foundation Diploma in Art and Design.
Note that the Advanced Learner Loan can cover the tuition fee and the separate registration and examination fee - see our Further Education Tuition Fees page for the amounts of each of these.
Impact of Brexit on Student Loans
Following the UK vote to leave the EU, the Student Loans Company (SLC) has confirmed that rules are unchanged for EU nationals, or their family members, who have applied for a place at university in England from this August 2016 to study a course which attracts student support.
Some information on these pages related to nationals from outside the EU, who do not have EU family members, may be subject to further clarification.
To be eligible for this loan at UAL you must meet certain requirements:
- Studying on the Foundation Diploma Art and Design in 2016-17
- Be aged 19 or over on 5 September 2016
- Be living in the UK on 5 September 2016
- Have been living in the UK, Channel Islands, or the Isle of Man for three years prior to the first day of the course
- Be a UK national or have ‘settled’ status in the UK.
EU nationals are eligible if they are resident in the UK on 5 September 2016 and have been resident in the EEA or Switzerland for three years prior to the start of the course. They must also meet the relevant age and course requirements above.
The following people may also be eligible, subject to guidance:
- Family members of an EU national
- EEA or Swiss workers in the UK and their family members
- Children of Swiss nationals
- Children of Turkish workers
- Refugees or those granted humanitarian protection and their family members
- Those granted discretionary leave to remain or limited leave to remain.
Contact the Student Advice Service for detailed eligibility guidance and evidence requirements if you fall into one of these categories.
There are limited numbers of loans available to UAL students, so the loan cannot be guaranteed.
Apply for a place on the Foundation Diploma in Art & Design.
- You will be provided with a Learning and Funding Information Letter from the University which you need for the loan application.
- Apply for the Advanced Learner Loan on the Student Finance England website.
- If successful, you will receive a letter from Student Finance England confirming that your loan has been approved.
- Enrol at your college showing your loan confirmation letter from Student Finance England.
- Your tuition fees will be paid directly to the University by Student Finance England.
Repayments and interest
You’ll be due to start repaying your loan in the April after you complete or leave your course. You’ll only start making repayments when your income is over £21,000 a year which is equivalent to earning £404 a week, or £1,750 a month. If your income falls below these amounts, repayments will stop and only re-start when your income is over these amounts. You will pay back 9% of the money you earn over £21,000.
If you want to make voluntary repayments, you can do so at any time by contacting the Student Loans Company.
Example repayment amounts
Annual Income before tax
Up to £21,000
You’re charged interest on the Advanced Learner Loan while you study until the date your loan is repaid in full. Visit the Student Loan Repayments website for details.
If you leave your course early
No payment from your loan will be made to your college or training organisation until you’ve attended your course for more than two weeks. If you leave after more than two weeks, you’ll have to pay back any loan payments that have been made, based on the length of time you attended your course. Once you stop attending, the loan payments will stop. These are the terms and conditions of the loan scheme and not UAL terms and conditions.