EXTRA Enhanced Funding Award
EXTRA: Enhanced Postgraduate Student Community Fund Awards
Deadline for applications: 12pm Wednesday 8 February 2017
In February 2017, two new enhanced awards of between £500 - £1,000 will be made available to ambitious projects from the UAL Postgraduate Community that foster collaboration and networking within and beyond UAL.
Your project must take place and be completed between March and August 2017.
Project proposals must:
- Bring together 3 or more postgraduate community groups within UAL
- Create an opportunity for these communities to network or collaborate with a community, network or organisation from outside of UAL
We are particularly interested in projects which:
- Foster collaborations / networks across different subject areas, including those beyond the arts
- Foster collaborations / with other postgraduate communities beyond UAL
- Will create a lasting positive impact on students’ professional development
If you are successful in your application, we will ask you to:
- Create a project blog on myblog.arts.ac.uk that documents your project
- Be available for the end of year Communities of Practice Event to present your project.
- Keep track of spending and provide invoices and receipts for evidence of spending.
What does ‘postgraduate community groups within UAL’ mean?
A community needs to include at least 3 or more UAL postgraduate students from different disciplines– or the proposed project needs to include an open call for participants from UAL postgraduate courses. Please get in touch if you would like help with identifying other postgraduate students to work with.
Can I have some examples of collaboration across disciplines?
Think about what your ‘Dream Team’ might look like. Consider the roles that could be created to make your idea a successful project.
Do you need: a photographer, a blogger, a documentary film-maker, a graphic designer, an advertising specialist, a marketing professional, a fashion designers, a performance designer, a curator, an architect, a journalist, a book designer?
The Postgraduate Community at UAL has students with all of these skills and more.
See all the Postgraduate course disciplines at UAL here.
You can advertise in the Postgraduate Community Newsletter, which goes out to all students every Friday in term time, and utilise the Postgraduate Community Facebook Group and Twitter feeds. If you are successful with your funding application, the support we can give you to find other PG students to collaborate with will be explained more fully.
What does ‘communities, networks or organisations outside UAL’ mean?
This is very broad. Your project could involve students from a Postgraduate course at another university, a network of artists, an arts organisation, a local community group, a hospital, a business, studio collective, gallery, theatre group, fashion house, magazine, UAL alumni… this is not an exhaustive list - just some examples of people, networks or organisations you might consider working with. You will need to identify the external partner, and have a named contact prior to application.
What does my project proposal need to include?
We want to know all about your ideas for your project. We also want to know the practical details of how you are going to deliver it:
- What resources do you need?
- Who is going to take part?
- Where is it going to take place?
- Who is the audience for the project?
- How you are going to measure the success of your project?
- How are you going to document it?
What kind of costs will you fund?
Costs we will fund include: printing costs, equipment hire, venue hire, building materials, props, specific travel costs, professional fees, drinks for an opening, sandwiches for seminars, etc.
What kind of costs do you not fund?
The fund does not cover student fees or your research time. If you would like to query if a cost is eligible, please get in touch before submitting your application.
Can I get funding for my degree show or other work related to my course?
No. This funding is only available for activity that you are initiating in addition to assessed work for your course.
How to apply:
Complete the application form and send it to email@example.com from your UAL email address. Deadline: 12pm Wednesday 8 February 2017
Application form download:
EXTRA award criteria download: