German, Arts and Culture
Evening language courses at the University of the Arts (UAL) Language Centre in London. Learn to speak German and explore German arts and culture, with classes ranging from beginner to intermediate.
During this 8 week course, you will be exposed to authentic language through listening and reading activities with an emphasis on functional and practical uses. The classes focus on speaking, pronunciation, and on reading and written communication.
Over the course of the programme, you will explore a variety of interesting topics such as architecture, design, fashion and society, at the same time as improving your ability to interact in the language.
The weekly classes take place at our High Holborn location, 3 minutes' walk from Holborn station in central London. Classes are from 6pm to 8.30pm 1 evening a week.
There is also a termly cultural experience in collaboration with the UAL Social Programme which will be built into your language development.
See the course details section below for the full syllabus, overview and outcomes for the course.
German dates and fees
|Term 1||Dates||Price||Booking and availability|
|German Beginner Part One|
Wednesday 18 October 2017
Wednesday 25 October 2017
Wednesday 1 November 2017
Wednesday 8 November 2017
Wednesday 15 November 2017
Wednesday 22 November 2017
Wednesday 29 November 2017
Wednesday 6 December 2017
Please note, this course is now fully booked.
We'll be running more courses from 29 January 2018.
Please sign up for updates here
German Beginner Part One course details
Course overview and outcomes
Over the 8 weeks of the German Beginner One course, you will:
- listen to simple dialogues and be introduced to how to greet others and introduce yourself
- learn to make simple requests including ordering food and drink and making your way around town
- explore vocabulary for each of the topics above and practice dialogues to use the language and activities associated with each
- be given the opportunity to read simple texts and write your own. Through these text and listening tasks you will be introduced to the structure of the language
- learn numbers, days of the week, professions, countries, colours and other expression relating to your surroundings
- learn noun and adjective forms including the impact of gender, and present, past and perfect tenses
- learn about German cuisine, artists, culture, fashion and architecture
There is a focus on oral communication and pronunciation as well as using the language for functional and practical purposes.
You will be able to take part in Social Programme events which will be announced on a termly basis, in line with the topics in the syllabus and your chosen language of study.
|Week no.||Session topic||Language content||Arts and culture content*|
|1||Introduction to Language, Arts, and Culture|
Overview of course
|2||Cuisine and Culture||Ordering food and drinks|
Asking for the bill
|3||Art and Politics|
|4||Urban Spaces||Places in the city|
Prepositions of place
Adverbs of frequency
|Leisure and entertainment in Germany|
|5||Movement and Time|
Punctuality in Germany
|6||Modernism||Activities in a city|
Likes and dislikes
Planning a weekend
|Modern living in Germany|
|7||Fashion and Society||Describing clothes|
|Fashion in Germany|
|8||Design and Architecture||Describing your area/ your home |
German architectural styles, Housing
*Note: These are some possible topics you will cover, and they may differ according to student needs and interests