About the Language Centre
What you need to know
- We are British Council accredited, and members of EnglishUK.
- We are part of the University of the Arts London which is the combination of Camberwell College of Arts, Central Saint Martins, Chelsea College of Arts, London College of Communication, London College of Fashion, and Wimbledon College of Arts which make up the biggest creative University in the world.
- We offer university quality teaching, courses and facilities.
- Our class sizes are small - an average of nine or ten and a maximum of 14.
- We have a fantastic location - close to Holborn underground station in the centre of London.
- The building is also the headquarters of University of the Arts London so you can use all the facilities including the café, computer centre and art gallery.
- On arrival at the Language Centre you will receive a University ID card which will give you access to facilities across the six colleges including libraries, social areas and galleries.
- We offer interesting courses that combine English with art, design, communications and media as well as General and Academic English programme.
- The Language Centre, University of the Arts London is a creative, exciting place to study, whatever the reason for learning English.
British Council Publishable Statement, November 2013:
The large English language teaching department of this large university offers courses in general, academic and professional English and other academic subjects for adults (16+) and for closed groups (16+).
Strengths were noted in the areas of staff management, student administration, quality assurance, publicity, learning resources, academic staff profile, course design, teaching, and leisure opportunities.
The inspection report stated that the organisation met the standards of the Scheme.
The Language Centre and UAL are committed to providing a safe and secure environment for all of our students. In particular we recognise the responsibility to safeguard the wellbeing of children, young people and vulnerable adults.
You can read the University's safeguarding policy on the Student Support Page.
What you can expect from us
A warm welcome and lots of fun
There is a full orientation programme on arrival, including a placement test and a tour of our facilities. We will give you a welcome pack that includes essentials like stationery and a student guide.
There is a great social programme that takes place in the evenings and takes advantage of our exciting location.
Language students are also invited to participate in activities led by UAL's Students' Union, including the University's societies. More information can be found on the SUArts website.
Great teachers and facilities
We are very proud of our well qualified teachers. Many of them have additional qualifications in a range of academic subjects including the areas of art, design, fashion and communication.
All our classrooms have a large flatscreen television or projector, DVD player and networked PC. Some of these classrooms also have interactive whiteboards.
We also have a small library where you can borrow English books and you can also access all of the facilities of the University, including libraries, bars, galleries, cafeterias and many other student services.
Our Welfare Officer can help you with doctors, dentists, banks, travel arrangements and anything else you may need while you are with us.