Police Registration

Police Registration

Students from some countries must register with the police within seven days of arriving in the UK. Here is some information about who should register and how to do so.

Who needs to register with the police?

Refer to the UK Government website for the full list of nationals who are required to register with the police. This is not normally a requirement if you are in the UK for six months or less. If you are required to register with the police, the instruction will be printed on the visa vignette (sticker) in your passport, or on your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) if you have one. Visit the UKCISA website for more information.

Where to register

  • Overseas Visitors Records Office (OVRO), 323 Borough High Street, London SE1 1JL (View location on Google Maps)
  • Please check the OVRO website for opening hours.

What to take

  • Your passport
  • Your visa vignette (sticker) and accompanying letter, or biometric residence permit (BRP)
  • A completed registration form, which you must complete on a computer and then print
  • One passport sized photograph
  • £34 registration fee

You must take original documents. You may find that you can register quicker if you take copies in addition.

After you register

You will receive a police registration certificate. Keep it safe and up to date.

If your address changes address, you must take your police registration certificate to any police station within seven days to be amended. There is no charge.

If you need to extend your visa to remain in the UK, or you apply for permission to work, you will need to submit your police registration certificate with your application. When your visa or your leave is extended, you must take your certificate to the Overseas Visitors Records Office within seven days to be updated.

If you need to replace your certificate, there is a charge of £34.

If you travel out of the country, you will need to show your police registration certificate when you return.

If you have any questions please contact the Student Advice Service.