Erasmus grants are funded by the European Commission (EC) through the British Council and may apply to Erasmus exchanges.
Please note that there is no guarantee of payment or automatic entitlement to a grant and there may be situations in which the funding will not be available. The grants will not cover all normal student living expenses but are a contribution towards the extra costs arising from studying abroad.
More information on the British Council website.
Types of student mobility grants
You can get different types of grants, according to your situation and to where you will study.
Main Erasmus Grant
For all students, the main Erasmus grant will depend on your country of destination
- GROUP 1 countries (high cost of living). Monthly grant €330. Country: Austria, Denmark, Finland, France, Ireland, Italy, Lichtenstein, Norway , Sweden
- GROUP 2 countries (medium cost of living). Monthly grant €280. Country: Belgium, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Portugal, Slovenia, Spain, Turkey.
- GROUP 3 Countries (low cost of living). Monthly grant €280. Country: Bulgaria, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Poland, Romania, Slovakia.
There is a monthly supplementary grant of €100 for students from disadvantaged groups for Erasmus studies only.
Erasmus grants for 2016/17
Main Erasmus grant (all students)
Monthly supplement for students from disadvantaged backgrounds
GROUP 1: €330/month
Country: Austria, Denmark, Finland, France, Ireland, Italy, Lichtenstein, Norway , Sweden
GROUP 2: €280/month
Country: Belgium, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Portugal, Slovenia, Spain, Turkey
GROUP 3: €280/month
Country: Bulgaria, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Poland, Romania, Slovakia
When will I be paid?
The total grant will be paid in two installments:
1. 70% at the start, within 30 days following the signature of the Grant Agreement for Erasmus+ Studies by both parties.
2. 30% at the end of the placement, upon successful completion of mobility period: provided you have submitted the Transcript of Records and Certificate of Attendance and have completed the online EU survey (must be done within 30 days from the end date of the mobility period).
We aim for the Finance department to transfer funds within 45 days after all required documents are received. Note that you might not be entitled to this second payment if, after calculation of the exact length of your stay, your first installment represented in fact the entire grant you were entitled to.
How are payments made?
Payments are made in GBP (pound sterling) by direct bank transfer from UAL to your UK GBP Sterling bank account only, using the bank details you provided in the grant agreement.
What happens if I cancel my study mobility or return early?
In all cases of cancellation or premature termination any Erasmus grant received must be repaid.