The Application Process
The application process
Confirm your institution is a UAL partner
UAL will only consider applications that are sent by our partner universities. We will not consider any direct application by students. Please contact the International Office at your home institution to know how to apply.
UAL has agreed with all its partners a series of objective criteria for incoming students, which will be duly checked during our partners’ selection process:
- Year of study: Equivalent or above to the year of study requested at UAL.
- Field of study: Equivalent to the field of study requested at UAL.
- English proficiency: English language ability recommended to the equivalent of B2 level.
UAL requires its partners to send their nominations in time for their students to be able to submit their online application form on time (see below).
Note for PhD students: PhD students in a partner university who are interested in an exchange should contact the College directly via their Research group.
Apply to UAL
This section is only for students who have already been selected by their home institution.
Once you have been selected by your home institution, your institution will contact us and we will send you information on application processes.
To complete this application, you will need several documents according to the College or course you are applying to:
- A Personal statement written in English, 500 words maximum (setting out reasons, choice of destination, expected benefits and any other relevant factors).
- Curriculum Vitae - resume
- A portfolio if you are applying to a practice based course (see below how to prepare a portfolio).
- For CSM only: If you have been studying at an institution where the teaching is not in English, you will need to have an IELTS score of 6.0 or above, with some courses requiring 6.5, 7.0 or 7.5 (check level required on the course page on our website).
- For non-Erasmus exchanges to CSM: a draft Learning Agreement in order to be orientated in a suitable pathway.
- Your passport or ID.
- An ID photograph.
Getting your portfolio ready
CCW, CSM and LCF (only the School of Design & Technology and School of Media and Communication at LCF) require you to submit a portfolio for review by the designated academics.
The portfolio should be made up of 20-25 images. The work you include should show breadth and demonstrate your creative thinking and personal research, progressing through stages to a finished piece.
Each image should be captioned with an appropriate title/project description, size of work, materials used etc.
LCC - Your portfolio should contain a focused selection of your work in no more than 10-12 pages. It should be submitted as a web link. Please note: only practice-based subjects require a portfolio (whereas for theory subjects no portfolio is necessary). If you are unsure, please check with the International Office by emailing email@example.com
In case no porfolio is required, please type 'no portfolio required' in the portfolio field in the online application.
The deadlines for the application vary according to each College and each Course. Please note that these are the deadlines to submit your UAL exchange application file online. You should start the process with your home university much earlier. No late application will be accepted.
Please check the deadline for your course at UAL:
Once an application is submitted with the required supporting documentation, the application is processed and a decision is made.
Successful applicants will receive a confirmation letter, as well as all the necessary information (including visa and accommodation). They will need to send their formal acceptance of our offer within one week.
Applicants are strongly advised not to make travel or accommodation plans until they have received confirmation that they have a place of study at UAL.
Please note at this stage that students are recommended to inform UAL of any disability that may affect their work.