Erasmus Traineeships for Recent Graduates
Recent higher education graduates may participate in a traineeship and receive the Erasmus grant
Recent graduates must:
- be selected by their HEI, submit the online application with all relevant documents during their last year of study (before they graduate);
- and must carry out and complete their traineeship abroad within one year of obtaining their graduation.
Traineeships undertaken after the student graduates do not need to be recognised; the aim of these being to improve the student’s employability.
The duration of a traineeship by a recent graduate counts towards the 12 months maximum of the cycle during which they apply for the traineeship.
Eligible countries for traineeship
When a work placement/traineeship takes place in one of the Erasmus+ programme countries (28 EU countries plus Non-EU Programme Countries: former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein, Turkey) but outside the UK, you could be entitled to Erasmus funding.
Visit the finance page for detailed information about funding.
Eligible host enterprises
The host enterprise shall be in one of the Erasmus+ programme countries (28 EU countries plusNon-EU Programme Countries: former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Iceland,Norway, Liechtenstein, Turkey)and shall comply with the definition of “Enterprise” to be eligible. The following types of organisation are not eligible as host organisations for Erasmus traineeships:
- EU bodies including specialised agencies and EU HEIs, for a full list visit the europa.eu website.
- Organisations managing EU programmes (such as National Agencies) in order to avoid possible conflict of interests and/or double funding.
- Diplomatic representations (embassies or consulates) of the student’s home country (i.e. the country of their home HEI, and their country of origin or citizenship).
A Higher Education Institution (HEI) can in some cases be the 'host enterprise' for a student placement, if the student does not go for a study period but for work experience.
Application process for recent graduates
Please note: You are required to apply before you graduate. All Erasmus grant applications have to be completed online (with all documents required) before you graduate and at least two weeks prior to the start date of your traineeship abroad. If your application is accepted, you will be paid in two instalments; 50% at the start, and 50% upon successful completion of the traineeship and submission of all supporting documents.
To apply for the Erasmus Traineeship you will need to follow the process outlined on The Application Process page.
There are three important documents that you need to complete during your Erasmus Traineeship. You must check with your College and follow all guidance and processes in place during and after traineeships.