Enrolment Information for Visa Holders

If you require a visa to study at UAL you will find additional information below that will help you prepare to join or continue your course. Please remember we are not able to enrol you if you do not have the correct immigration status or if you cannot prove you have applied for a new visa.

Permission to study in the UK

Your valid passport and visa will be checked at your enrolment event and we will not allow you to enrol if you don’t have all of the correct documents.

  • If you have applied for your visa outside of the UK you will be given a ‘travel vignette’ in your passport that allows you to enter the UK. When you arrive in the UK, you will need to collect your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) from the location stated on the letter given to you when you received your vignette. You must collect your BRP and register with the police (if your vignette instructs you to do so) before you enrol at the University.
  • If your letter says that you need to collect your BRP from the University's main site at 272 High Holborn, London WC1V 7EY, you will be sent instructions about collecting this shortly before Enrolment. Please follow the instructions provided carefully before attempting to collect your BRP.
  • If you have applied for your visa inside the UK you will be sent your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) shortly after you receive the letter telling you your application has been successful. You will need to show us this at your enrolment event, along with your passport and Police Registration certificate (where applicable).

It is your responsibility to ensure that you have a valid visa for the duration of your course. If you have just completed a course and you are starting another you will need to apply for your new visa before you enrol.

If you have a Tier 4 Visa that commits you to studying with another institution

Please remember that if you have a visa for a different university or college, you cannot enrol at University of the Arts London unless you have applied for a new visa using a CAS from the University.

If this applies to you, please make sure you read next paragraph and comply with further instructions that will be sent in your enrolment event information email.

Change in immigration status

If your immigration position changes and you no longer have permission to study in the UK, the University will suspend you from your course of study until this is resolved and this may lead to you being withdrawn. A lengthy suspension may mean that you are unable to continue your course because of the amount of teaching you have missed. 

You need to let your college Immigration Compliance Administrator know if there is any change in your immigration status as soon as possible.

If you need to register with the police

If it is a requirement of your visa that you register with the police when you arrive in the UK, you need to give us a copy of the registration certificate at enrolment. We will not enrol you without it. If you send off your certificate with your visa renewal application, we expect you to keep a photocopy that you can give us.

When you receive your new visa, we will ask you to prove that you have registered it with the police. You also need to remember to update your certificate if you change your address.

For further advice visit our police registration page.

Further information about visas

Further information about applying for your visa and police registration certificates can be found on the Immigration and Visas section of our website.

You can find further information on the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) website.