FAQs for Temps
If you have a question about ArtsTemps, regarding absence, pay or right to work, please read the FAQs below.
- What is ArtsTemps?
- Am I eligible to register?
- I’m an international student, can I find work through ArtsTemps?
- I have a disability, can I still register will ArtsTemps?
- How long can I stay with ArtsTemps?
- I’m no longer a UAL student and have started a course at another institution, can I still work through ArtsTemps during the extra year I receive?
- What type of work is available?
- What is the maximum assignment length?
- I’m looking for a permanent role, can ArtsTemps help me?
- How do I register with ArtsTemps?
- How do I upload my CV?
- Why should I keep my CV updated?
- Do you accept paper based applications?
- Who can I contact if I have a problem completing my application?
- Where can I find my contract?
- What happens after registering my details online?
- How long will it take for me to get a registration appointment with ArtsTemps?
- If I fail to turn up for my registration appointment, can I apply again?
- Can I change my ArtsTemps password?
- What is the maximum number of hours I can work a week?
- What is a National Insurance (NI) number?
- Why do I need a National Insurance number?
- How do I apply for a National Insurance number?
- Where are your jobs advertised? I can’t see them when I log in
- Will I get every job I apply for?
- How will I know when I've been booked for an assignment?
- How is the rate of pay worked out?
- When will I be paid?
- Will I receive a payslip?
- Do I get paid for my lunch?
- How do I fill in my timesheets?
- What happens if I submit my timesheet late?
- If I didn’t work, do I still need to complete my timesheet?
- Who will read the notes I make in the comments box on my timesheet page?
- What are the deadlines for submitting timesheets to ArtsTemps?
- Can I claim expenses?
- What do I do if I have any payroll queries?
- How do I change my personal details?
- How do I change my bank details?
- How do I claim my holiday?
- When will I be paid my holiday entitlement?
- What do I do if I cannot come to work because of illness?
- I’ve been off sick for a while, can I claim sick pay?
- My assignment is coming to an end, what do I do?
- I would like to finish my current assignment. What do I do?
- I am no longer available for work, what should I do?
- I’m a photographer and I’ve been paid by UAL through ArtsTemps to take pictures for an assignment. Could you confirm who owns the rights to the images?
- I’m a graphic designer and I’ve been paid by UAL through ArtsTemps to create designs for a specific internal project. Could you confirm who owns the rights to the designs?
- How do I make a complaint?
- What happens when I sit the Data Protection Act Test?
- What’s the UAL policy for pension contributions?
- What are my statutory rights?
- I’m not finding enough work through ArtsTemps. Where else can I look for work?
- Can I use ArtsTemps as a reference for future jobs?
- Where are your offices?
What is ArtsTemps?
ArtsTemps is University of the Arts London’s (UAL) in-house temp agency. It matches UAL students and recent graduates with paid temporary jobs across the university and we are part of UAL’s Careers and Employability department.
Am I eligible to register?
ArtsTemps is open to all current UAL students and recent graduates up to one year after completion of a BA, MA or PhD course. It is not open to short course students at UAL or students from other universities.
I’m an international student, can I find work through ArtsTemps?
Yes you can. You will need to bring your passport and visa information when you come in for an appointment. We ask this of everyone who registers with us. Your visa will tell us the number of hours you can work. You will also need to have a National Insurance number already assigned to you.
How long can I stay with ArtsTemps?
You are eligible to stay with ArtsTemps for the duration of your course plus one year after you graduate from a BA or MA course. For all other courses you are only eligible for the duration of the course.
For BA, MA or PhD students (who receive the extra year following the end of your course), who decide to enrol at another college or university to do another course, that extra year will no longer apply to you. As an ex-UAL student, you will need to access the careers services at your new institution.
What type of work is available?
The work varies from assisting in the library and helping at events, to data entry, modelling, administration and reception. Some roles are only open to graduates, due to confidentiality issues or due to the nature of the work. In this case, we will only be able to consider graduates for these roles.
How do I register with ArtsTemps?
Create an online ArtsTemps account by visiting the ArtsTemps login/register page.
Once you register your details and create an account, you will get an email asking you to attend an appointment with us in-person.
Please note we are not able to register candidates who have not uploaded their CV. If you need to make changes to your work history or experience, please upload an amended copy of your CV.
Please note: Our recruitment database can only accept plain text Word version of your CV and not PDFs or any other version.
Do you accept paper based applications?
We are trying to create an automated system, so all our processes are online. By applying online we can track your application and track your assignments. It also means you can log-in to your account to amend your details.
Who can I contact if I have a problem completing my application?
Please email us with details of your problem at firstname.lastname@example.org and a member of the team will come back to you.
Where can I find my contract?
When you register your details online to create an ArtsTemps account, you are required to tick a box accepting our terms and conditions and can download a contract at this point.
Registration interview invitation
- Proof of eligibility to work in the UK (ideally your passport or Full A4 UK Birth Certificate - please note we cannot accept Driving licence as proof)
- Current Visa (if applicable)
- Current P45 (if you have one)
- Proof of your current address
- UK bank account details
- Proof of National Insurance number (NI card OR previous payslip OR HMRC letter OR P60)
- UAL student ID card OR graduation certificate
- Two reference details (previous employers or tutors) with email addresses
During this interview we will check and take copies of your documents and we will ask you to sit four simple tests:
Please allow 1 hour for your registration interview.
You will then have a short interview with a member of our team to talk through your CV and complete some paperwork.
We will process your paperwork and you will get a confirmation email within a week confirming your registration with ArtsTemps.
You will then start receiving emails about different assignments that match your skills.
How long will it take for me to get a registration appointment with ArtsTemps?
Our typical waiting time is 4-6 weeks, but this does increase during busy times of the year, such as the start of the academic year and can be up to 8-12 weeks. Please note ArtsTemps is closed for new registrations over the summer from 1st August to mid-October when we re-open.
If I fail to turn up for my registration appointment, can I apply again?
If you don’t tell us within 24 hours of your appointment, you will not be able to register with us for 12 months.
Can I change my ArtsTemps password?
Yes, you can log in at anytime to change your password and you will find this in the personal details section of your ArtsTemps account.
- Students should only work a maximum of 20 hours a week so your studies are not affected. Outside of term students can work more than this.
- International students of HE can legally work a maximum of 20 hours per week and this would be noted on your visa.
- International students of FE can only legally work a maximum of 10 hours per week and this would be noted on your visa.
- Graduates can work full time and are not restricted to any hours of work.
What is a National Insurance (NI) number?
This number makes sure there is a record of the National Insurance contributions and Income Tax you pay in the UK. It is also a reference number for the entire social security system and each number is unique and is made up of letters and numbers e.g. QQ 12 34 56 A. Your national insurance number never changes even if you go abroad, marry, register as a civil partner or change your name.
How do I apply for a National Insurance number?
All workers in the UK need to pay National Insurance once their earnings go beyond a certain amount. Check the HMRC website to find out exactly how much. If you do not already have an NI number you must apply for one as you have decided you would like to work in the UK and for the University of the Arts.
You will need to telephone Jobcentre Plus on 0845 600 0643. Lines are open 8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday and are less busy before 9am. You may need to attend an interview and bring documents proving your identity. Your application is then processed, and you will recieve your NI number in due course.
Back to top
Where are your jobs advertised? I can’t see them when I log in
We do not advertise our roles on our website because they get filled quickly. Once you are fully registered with us, you will start receiving email notifications about jobs. You need to reply to the email to express your interest and we will then confirm if you are booked in.
Will I get every job I apply for?
No, it is competitive and we have more temps on our books than jobs. When you reply to a job, we will confirm whether you have got that role and we will also send you a confirmation of assignment email. We try to inform all temps who are not successful but if you do not hear back by the next day, please assume you were not selected for the role.
How will I know when I've been booked for an assignment?
First you will receive confirmation from ArtsTemps that you are booked for an assignment. You will then receive a confirmation of assignment email which will set out all the details of the role.
You must read this carefully and reply to this email to confirm your employment with UAL. Your email will include:
- Job Title
- Reporting Manager
- Location address and room number
- Start date/time including the duration of assignment
- Rate of pay including holiday pay
- Job Description (duties and responsibilities) and person specification
- Dress code (if applicable)
- Single Task Rate 1 – roles that do not need specific skill, such as events, bar work, ambassadors, open day hosts etc.
- Single Task Rate 2 – roles that require more or a specific skill such as graphic design, admin, data entry, photography etc.
- Graded Roles – these roles have an official job description and start at grade 1 through to grade 7. These will include more technical, admin or roles at managerial level.
As a casual worker, you receive holiday entitlement. The holiday entitlement you receive for each hour you work we pay to you in cash instead of time off. Your holiday pay accumulates each month and is paid out 6 times a year.
When will I be paid?
All temps get paid on the last working day of each month. Please note that you will need to work one month in arrears. This means that depending on when you start an assignment it could take up to 7 weeks until you receive your first pay.
You will receive pay for any hours worked and submitted onto your timesheet before the payroll cut-off date during that month. You will receive pay for any hours submitted onto your timesheet after the payroll cut-off date in the following month.
Will I receive a payslip?
Yes, you will receive a payslip at your home address you provided when you registered with us as long as you are not working anywhere within UAL. If you are, you will need to access your payslips online, via ESS, using your UAL network account.
Back to top
Do I get paid for my lunch?
No, if you work a full day, you must take and deduct a one hour unpaid lunch break.
- At the end of each week you must log back into your ArtsTemps account and click on “timesheets” on the right hand menu.
- Click into the correct week and enter the number of hours worked (minus one hour for lunch if applicable) into the correct day(s) you worked. (Please note timesheets show up as the week commencing date and our week starts on Sunday and ends on Saturday.)
- Tick the box and then press “Save” in order to submit your timesheet
- This will then be sent to the manager who hired you to approve your hours.
Please submit your timesheet promptly because it has to go through three levels of approval before it is processed. Failure to complete the online timesheets on time, could delay your payment by up to six weeks.
Please Note: If your hiring manager rejects your timesheets, you will receive an email and must log back into ArtsTemps to amend your hours. If you are unsure what to amend, we recommend you speak to your hiring manager or ArtsTemps first. You must submit timesheets for one-off assignments, for approval as soon as you have finished working on it.
What happens if I submit my timesheet late?
If you submit your timesheet late and miss the payroll cut-off date for that month, you get paid for those hours on the last working day of the following month.
If I didn’t work, do I still need to complete my timesheet?
If you didn’t work in a particular week or couldn’t work due to illness, you do not need to complete a timesheet. Do not even enter zero hours as your line manager will still be required to approve a blank timesheet and will constantly receive email reminders. Please contact us and we can delete the timesheet for you.
Who will read the notes I make in the comments box on my timesheet page?
Any comments you write in the comments box when you enter your hours will only be read by the hiring manager and NOT by ArtsTemps. Please email us if you have a question or comment for us.
What are the deadlines for submitting timesheets to ArtsTemps?
You will get monthly emails telling you the payroll deadline date for that month. You should submit your timesheets on or before this date. ArtsTemps cannot guarantee that you will receive payment at the end of the month that you worked. But your chances will be better if you submit your timesheets before the deadline dates provided.
Can I claim expenses?
In some cases reasonable expenses (in line with the University’s Expenses Policy) will be provided, as long as you get approval in advance from your Line Manager. ArtsTemps are not able to approve expense claims.
What do I do if I have any payroll queries?
First you should check your payslips to find your wage breakdown. We post these to your home address. If you still have any queries relating to hours worked or holiday pay, please email ArtsTemps. If you have any queries relating to National Insurance, tax, pension contributions or your P60 or P45, then you would need to contact the payroll department at email@example.com.
How do I change my personal details?
Log into your ArtsTemps account and change postal and email addresses and your contact phone number. If your address changes, you must let us know by email so we can tell the payroll department. This will ensure your payslips go to the correct address.
How do I change my bank details?
To change your bank details you will need to request a Bank Details Amendment Form. Please fill out all sections and return it to our offices by post: ArtsTemps, 272 High Holborn, London WC1V 7EY.
How do I claim my holiday?
You will not receive actual paid holiday time, instead you receive payment for the holiday time you have accumulated and which is paid to you 6 times a year.
When will I be paid my holiday entitlement?
You will receive holiday pay 6 times a year, currently in the following months: Dec, Jan, Apr, May, Jul and Aug. Please note holiday pay is accrued and not paid in the same month as your hours. (E.g. if you worked in Dec, and received the pay for this in Jan, you wont receive your holiday pay for these hours until the next holiday pay period which is April.)
What do I do if I cannot come to work because of illness?
You should report your sickness absence on the first day by letting your hiring manager and ArtsTemps know by calling. Try to do this as close as possible, or before, your normal starting time, explaining the illness and how long its likely to last. A voicemail, text or e-mail message is not enough.
Use the self-certificate form from Human Resources if you need to tell us about an absence of up to seven days. If your absence lasts for more than 7 calendar days, you will need a doctor’s certificate and to forward this to ArtsTemps as soon as possible.
I’ve been off sick for a while, can I claim sick pay?
You may be eligible for Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) if you meet the relevant statutory criteria. You must have worked in the same continuous role for 12 weeks or more, earn at least £111 per week (before tax) and have been ill for at least 4 days in a row before you are eligible. Please note that SSP is not payable for the first 3 days of the period of sickness absence.
My assignment is coming to an end, what do I do?
You do not need to do anything. ArtsTemps will continue to look for temp roles for you unless you tell us that you do not wish to seek any further employment through ArtsTemps.
I would like to finish my current assignment. What do I do?
If you would like to finish working in a particular role before it is due to end, you should give ArtsTemps the following notice:
- 24 hours notice if you have less than 4 weeks continuous service
- 1 weeks’ notice between 1 month and 2 years continuous service.
We may be able to organise a shorter notice period with your hiring manager but will need as much notice as possible. This is to ensure that the client is not inconvenienced and so that we can arrange a replacement if necessary.
Back to top
I am no longer available for work, what should I do?
Firstly, please make sure you inform ArtsTemps of your end date within the notice period stated above. You should then request your P45 if you are a leaver and you will also need to reconfirm your address so that we can it post it to you.
I’m a photographer and I’ve been paid by UAL through ArtsTemps to take pictures for an assignment. Could you confirm who owns the rights to the images?
UAL owns the rights to any images produced and the rights to use these images.
I’m a graphic designer and I’ve been paid by UAL through ArtsTemps to create designs for a specific internal project. Could you confirm who owns the rights to the designs?
UAL owns the rights to any designs produced and the rights to use these designs.
What happens when I sit the Data Protection Act Test?
For certain roles you might need to sit the Data Protection Act test as part of your registration with ArtsTemps. This test lasts approximately 30 minutes and we will record and send your score to your line manager.
What happens if I fail the Data Protection Act test?
You might be required to sit the test again at a later date, which will be at your line managers discretion and they will advise you of this further.
What’s the UAL policy for pension contributions?
As per new government legislation in April 2013, UAL is required by law to enrol all workers into a workplace pension scheme if you meet a certain criteria.
You have the right to opt out by going online to Local Government Pension Scheme and completing an Opt Out Form, provided you do so within 3 months of joining, you will receive a refund through Payroll. You do have to be enrolled before you can opt out.
If however, you would like to join the scheme without earning the £833.33 in a month, you can do so by emailing Mavlin Patel, Pensions Administrator, firstname.lastname@example.org and they will advise you further.
What are my statutory rights?
Any students or graduates who register to use our service are on a casual workers contract and not a permanent employment contract. So you have certain statutory rights as employees of UAL.
You are entitled to the same collective facilities as staff directly employed by UAL. This includes the canteen, car/bike facilities and notification of suitable internal vacancies. You can receive other benefits when employed in the same role for 12 weeks or more. But this depends on regularity of shifts and length of service. Please contact ArtsTemps for more information.
I’m not finding enough work through ArtsTemps. Where else can I look for work?
Our online jobsboard Creative Opportunities advertises external vacancies, including part-time and temporary work. It is always a good idea to explore other avenues for your job search such as other temp agencies and not depend on ArtsTemps alone.
Can I use ArtsTemps as a reference for future jobs?
Yes, but we can only provide factual information. Such as confirming when you registered and details of your current or last assignment with ArtsTemps, including job title and rate of pay. We would not be able to provide a more detailed reference for you.
Where are your offices?
We are based at 272 High Holborn, London, WC1V 7EY