Design for Performance Hub
Hub Coordinator: Donatella Barbieri, Senior Research Fellow in Design for Performance
This hub includes and invites participation and presentations from colleagues across the University and is based at London College of Fashion.
The Hub provides a space for presentation, reflection and dissemination of research around costume, scenography and performance. Our focus is on the agency of design in the collaborative process inherent to performance-making, on the embodiment of culture through design for performance – be it contemporary or historical – and on the exposition of new curatorial, societal and technological perspectives.
We analyse performance, both mediated and live, through design, considering the engagement with the material, dressed body of the performer as key to the spectating experience. We bring to the fore practitioners and scholars who have broken new ground in their respective fields of expertise. These have included experimental designers, choreographers and directors, whose work has explored new methods of performance-making through costume and scenography.
Equally, the hub has foregrounded innovators in design realisation, authors changing the way design for performance is perceived through their writing and curatorial practices that have re-presented costume and scenography in a new light. The hub also disseminates the experimental application of workshop-based methodologies, originally devised for performers, to the design process, in order to support the work of design-led performance making.
- Agnes Treplin, Course Director for MA Costume Design
- Natalie Brown, Programme Director for Performance
Related Links & Resources
- Lez Brotherston in Conversation with Jane Pritchard, 7 January 2015
- Pigeons & Peacocks article about the conversation with Lez Brotherston
- Re-imagining Manufacturing as Digital Craft for Performance, 23 March 2015
- Voice and Confidence: Applying Performance Technique to Public Speaking led by voice coach and performer Colleen Prendergast, November 2013